Chapter-7

“Lan Wangji!” The booming voice cut across the room after the meeting ended.

Lan Wangji halted in his movement. A pity. He was almost out the door. He turned against the current of people streaming out and ambled towards his father.

Mr. Lan was a stocky man with frown lines etched deep by decades of leadership. Like all men of his standing, he dressed impeccably in neutral tailored suits. His appearance gave the illusion that he’d stopped aging beyond forty-five; plentiful black hair with specks of gray, blemish free skin save for wise wrinkles. Yet, if one would just peer, they’d see the dry patches on his skin and the uneven coloring of his gray/black hair. He has passed his prime and is racing towards decline.

“What would you like me to say?” Lan Wangji asked impatiently.

“Ha. You’ve always been the one with the wicked humor,” Mr. Lan signaled to the seat nearest to him. Lan Wangji took his seat.

“But it’s not humorous that you’re nearly thirty and have not reached the heights I reached at your age. And I attained success without any help.”

Lan Wangji’s face turned to stone.

“I’m feeding you success, serving it up on a silver platter. Are you refusing it?” Mr. Lan’s frown deepened.

“I have always refused it. You’ve just chosen to ignore it,” Lan Wangji chuckled and shook his head, “tell me father what do you want to hear this time? I’m afraid I don’t have the script.”

Mr. Lan, shifted forward in his chair. A lengthy silence followed. Sighing deeply, Mr. Lan continued.

“I’d like to hear that you are ready to take over.”

Lan Wangji’s breath caught in his throat. His eyes searched frantically for Mr. Lan’s impassive face.

“What do you mean? That’s a conversation for 10 years down the road.” he tried to keep his voice stable but the strain was evident.

“Yes. But 10 years might come far sooner than you’d like.”

“How so? The company is doing well and your health is stable. What do you mean?” there was an escalating panic in Lan Wangji’s tone.

Mr. Lan smiled mysteriously, “You should speak with Lan Xichen. Has he not met with you yet?”

Lan Wangji clenched his jaw. Of course, Lan Xichen was privy to this before him.

“Why not discuss this all with Lan Xichen? Since you’ve already left me out of the discussions prior.” Lan Wangji stood up from his chair, ready to walk away.

“Lan Wangji, aside from your silly petulance, you are needed. And it’s high time that you settled down.”

Lan Wangji’s mind went blank.

“Father, I prefer men,” he said, voice level. He watched Mr. Lan’s unchanging expression closely.

Mr. Lan replied impatiently, “Yes, yes. I know. Your escapades aren’t so discreet.”

“So what is this about settling down?” Lan Wangji grimaced.

“Just... speak with Lan Xichen. A proper marriage will help your image immensely. What you do outside your image... doesn’t concern me.”

Lan Wangji’s grip on the chair tightened. His knuckles were nearly white.

“What if I refuse? What if I quit right here, right now and leave the country?”