Chapter-11

“Finally! You’ve called!” Lan Xichen shouted with relief into the phone.

Lan Wangji jolted back. So loud.

“I know, I know. I’m sorry! But Wen Qing gave me no time!”

“What’re you talking about?” Lan Wangji questioned, placing his ear against the phone with caution.

“Well, I am to help coordinate the wedding as part- as part of my wedding gift to you!”

Lan Wangji sighed audibles enough to be heard on the other end. Though Lan Xichen was only a few years older, he had a lot to learn if he was attempting to play the trickster.

“As part of the merger you mean? Has Father somehow spun this marriage into the merger?”

Lan Xichen gulped. He took a seat on the edge of the hotel bed. It was past midnight where he was. He was not alert enough for intricate conversation.

“What can I say to that? Yes. He had to do what needed to be done to save the- oh.”

“Lan Xichen. Drop it. You’ve never been good at this with me anyway. Tell me all," Lan Wangji turned in his swivel chair to face the myriad of buildings and blue skies.

Lan Xichen got up and paced. Throwing his hand in the air, he groaned. He continued as he sat back down on the edge of the bed.

“Fine. We’ve been steadily losing key investors. A combination of a couple big investments going awry and... word has gotten around that Father is looking to pass the company on...”

Lan Wangji’s closed his eyes with force. Behind the dark burgundy, perhaps he can pretend he isn’t a part of this.

“Why haven’t I been told about this?”

“Frankly. I don’t know. I don’t think I would’ve known if not for Father’s email about a month ago,” Lan Xichen pushed his hair back anxiously.

“Which I’ve been excluded from.”

“Brother. Point is, this merger and this marriage is important. Crucial for Pierce-.”

“Why is Father eager to pass the company on? What is the rush?”

“I... don’t know. You know him. We never know his plans until they unfold. “

Lan Wangji laughed wryly, “How characteristic of him. Using me as a pawn to save the company? Despicable.”

Lan Xichen stayed silent. He heard Lan Wangji’s exasperated sigh.

“And what do you get out of this?”

Lan Xichen gasped.

“Don’t play dumb. I’m not in the mood,” Lan Wangji cut through.

“Lan Wangji...”

“Come on, dear brother. We both know what runs in our veins.”

Lan Xichen slouched, “In his email... he might have said... that if I coordinate the marriage, I’d be considered for accelerated advancement.”

“Do you want the company?”

“Brother-“

“Then take it!” Lan Wangji snapped. His voice was loud enough to be heard outside the closed glass doors.

“I care fuck all. I’m happy being where I am for the rest of my life. Anyhow, isn’t it clear that you are the better candidate?”

“That’s not true, is it?” Lan Xichen whispered harshly, “you may not care about the company but you’ve got skill. You know what to sell and what to buy at the right time. The only reason you’ve failed to advance is your determination to stay put.”