※ forty-two

Mulai dari awal

Jiah took a seat on the wooden bench across from Wendy. The appropriate heat warmed her body, drying it after the quick shower. Steam dispersed across the room, and silence hung in the air until Wendy spoke, "Working with Hoseok has been giving you a lot of tension, hasn't it?"

Jiah awkwardly chuckled and said, "Not really."

"You fell asleep during the massage."

"Ah... I've been a bit tired recently. There's so much going on," she replied, awkwardly chuckling again.

Wendy let out a soft laugh. "I see," she murmured. "Are you feeling better now?"

Jiah couldn't deny that she felt much better after the massages. "Yeah," she said, giving a short nod.

"I'm glad I brought you here," Wendy said, a soft smile adorning her lips.

Another silence followed, and Jiah looked around the warm room to avoid the awkwardness. Nothing caught her interest except for the cheap wooden seat attached to the wall. But she felt Wendy's gaze fixed on her. Not wanting to ask what was wrong and break the unease, she waited for Wendy to start the conversation and let the questionable stare continue.

As expected, Wendy began, "Hoseok hasn't told you anything, I guess."

"What do you mean?" Jiah asked, feigning ignorance.

A brief moment of stillness filled the room as Wendy straightened her back and crossed her legs. Placing both palms on the seat's surface, she exhaled deeply, breaking the silence. In a soft tone, she uttered, "Back when we were still in high school, we dated. We were in different classes, but we met in the same club. The dance club. Watching him dance was satisfying. He was cool!" A smile formed on her lips. "I still have videos of him dancing. I would love it if you watched them with me later."

"Oh!" The sudden invitation caught Jiah off guard once again. "I would love to."

"Uh-hm," Wendy hummed, still smiling softly. She continued, "We met during the club. We went to the same club for three years straight. During those years, we were always selected to look out for the members. It always brought us together."

That wasn't what Jiah wanted to know. She didn't want to hear the story of their relationship either. But it felt like she needed to know somehow.

Jiah's lack of reaction seemed to encourage Wendy to continue. "We both liked each other, but our relationship didn't last long. It was my fault."

The last statement caught Jiah's attention. She knew but it prompted her to ask, "Why?"

"I had to leave Korea. My dream was to be a model, and I found an opportunity in another country. So, I told him not to wait for me and ended our relationship," Wendy explained, pausing to shrug. "But here I am."

Jiah mumbled, "Don't tell me..."

Wendy heard her. "Yeah," she paused again, studying Jiah's reactions. "His sister left during our senior year, or I don't know, ran away? With my cousin. Hoseok had a hard time, and I ended things with him." She detached her palms from the seat and leaned back, crossing her arms. Sinisterly, the image of her as an elegant woman cracked as she muttered, "Ironic that he's adopted. I still have to acknowledge him as my cousin."