※ thirty-three

[!] trigger warning [!]

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Kang Maru?" Jiah exclaimed, not expecting to see her ex-classmate there. She exchanged glances with him and Hoseok before continuing to walk forward to her seat, giving him a twitching smile.

Although she knew her friend came from a high-class family, she never knew that Kang & Company was part of his life. It was concerning. She never wanted to have conflicts with her friends, especially not something this big.

Hoseok, who was behind her, sounded surprised. "You know him?" he asked.

Jiah spun around as the Kang family took their seats. To Hoseok, she said, "Maru used to be my classmate."

The thought of not being on good terms with Maru anymore scared her. It had only been a few months since they had a warm and friendly reunion. She couldn't recall any offense he had done to her or any of their ex-classmates during school or the reunion. She also didn't remember Maru appearing cold to the public. This was a whole new side of him. Maru was often perceived as friendly and kind.

"I've never seen him like that," she muttered.

"Maru?" Hoseok asked, and she nodded.

Wendy's voice rang through the speaker, confidently speaking on the podium with a microphone in front of her. Hoseok slowly diverted his attention to the stage, but Jiah could feel him glancing at her once in a while. She couldn't tell if it was a worried glance or a glance asking for help.

Soon, Hoseok's name was called. Jiah looked up at him. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down before he got up from his seat. Shaky breaths escaped from Hoseok, and she swore she saw his hands trembling before he balled them into fists.

Applause reverberated in the hall. Wendy's warm smile didn't seem to sit well with Jiah, and it didn't seem to make Hoseok feel better either. She wanted to be there, she had to be beside him.

Remembering her determination as Hoseok's assistant, she stood up from her seat and caught up with her boss's pace. Yoongi didn't even stop her, and she took that as a green light.

Hoseok got startled when he saw her walking beside him. "What are you doing? You should be in your seat."

"Nope. As Jung Hoseok's assistant, I should be standing near him until he's okay."

"B-but—"

"Nope, nope! I'm not leaving you alone," she said.

The redhead exhaled a deep sigh. Defeated, he nodded his head. Both of them continued to walk together towards the astounded Wendy. She seemed to be trying to mask her astonishment. Jiah couldn't comprehend her response to their appearance together.

Hoseok approached the microphone almost leisurely, while Jiah stood behind him. And then, his speech began.

She couldn't understand the need for a speech and the party. Several journalists and media representatives from different companies were even present. Was it just to brag? For what purpose? To increase investment partnerships and stock shares? What would happen if the dark truth behind this company was revealed to the world one day?