"It's beside you, Aiden!" Adira replied, her tone indicating a hint of annoyance.

"I can't move my hand, I'm injured," I heard his whining voice, cringing at the sound. How can a grown up sturdy man act like this to get attention?

I could never do this!!!

Adira paused for a moment, excusing herself from the phone to give her childish husband his water. She returned to the call afterward.

"I'm sorry about that, Ares. How's the work going?" she apologized.

"It's okay, just returning to UK for the rest of the work. I've taken care of everything here," I informed her, explaining the reason for my call.

"Oh, you're leaving already?" she asked, sounding surprised.

"Yes, some office matters need my attention, so I'm going back," I replied with a sad smile. My purpose for coming here was never truly about work. I did it for her, as a last chance to myself so that I wouldn't regret not confessing my feelings. Now that I have expressed them, I suppose I can at least carry on my life.

"I'm sure you'll do great. You've always excelled in business," she complimented me.

"Thank you. That's the first-ever compliment I've received from my ex-assistant in four years of working together," I chuckled. I could hear her husband nagging her continuously.

"I wanted to call to say goodbye before I leave," I added seriously. There was a silence on the other end before I heard her soft voice.

"I'm sorry," I could sense her guilt even through the phone, stabbing at my heart.

"Don't be. It's not your fault. You never did anything wrong. I'm completely fine, and who knows, if I find the time, I might visit again," I replied lightheartedly. She remained silent. I knew her well enough to understand that she was struggling to express herself.

"Call me whenever you're ready, Ares. Whenever you want to talk to a friend, don't hesitate to reach out. You're a great man, and I'm sure there's someone out there who deserves you more than anyone else," she said after a brief pause. I smiled bitterly.

I don't think so!

There's no one who could reach me now because this time, I won't allow it.

Love isn't for me, I guess!

"I will, Thank you, Adira!" We talked for a while and ended our conversation on a good note. She reminded me to take care of myself before attending to her sulking husband.

~~~

"We are here, sir!" I snapped out of my reverie when Chase alerted me. We had arrived at the mansion's driveway.

I stepped out of the car and made my way into the mansion. Immediately, I spotted my grandfather, Alfredo Knight, and my mother, Joelle Simon Knight, waiting for me in the living room.

"Ares!" My Mom exclaimed, rushing towards me. I immediately engulfed her in my arms, comforting myself in her motherly embrace.

"You've lost weight. I told you not to go," she let me go after a while and inspected my appearance, equally scolding me at the same time.

"I'm fine, Mom. I was just busy with work," I reassured her, but by the looks of it, she was not convinced.

"That's why you should get married, so your wife can take care of you," my Grandpa interjected from his spot on the couch. I grimaced inwardly. So, that was the reason behind summoning me here today.

When are they going to give up?

I walked over to him, exchanged greetings, and sat on the opposite couch. My mom settled beside my grandpa, nodding in agreement with his statement.

Beyond The Gaze: A Love UnseenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara