ten | cut the headlights, summer's a knife

Start from the beginning

"No," I answered truthfully. "He only answered my questions. He did not mention anything about your pack besides the fact that your Alpha made everyone change their surname and how every member has a Greek name. Like yours."

Eros gave out a harsh laugh. "That much is true. My family was lucky that our family name already starts with the letter A." He took a sharp breath, then held my gaze with a serious look on his face. "The Erebus is not like The Ethereal, Xy. A lot of awful things happen here. We are not just a regular werewolf pack, we are all mafias. Some of us are parts of The Greek Mafia, while the rest are Sicilian mafioso. And our Alpha—" He heaved a heavy sigh, shaking his head as if it was too hard for him to continue.

"Leonidas," I provided, recalling the name had been mentioned a few times previously.

"Leonidas Aglieri," he pronounced the surname in a perfect Italian accent.

That name did not ring any bell, so I said nothing.

"The son of u Signurinu," said Eros.

The only Italian mafia I knew was Al Capone. "Um, who?"

"Pietro Aglieri, famously known as 'The Little Gentleman' (*). They hung his quote to Judge Alfonso Sabella on the walls of our pack house." Eros took a deep breath and looked at me solemnly. I'm more than what you think - not just a werewolf. I belong to the mafia too. My whole family, my whole pack are mafia."

"You are a writer," I told him.

But he shook his head. "That is just a cover. I am a mafia, first and foremost."

"I have read your books. You are a very talented writer, Eros."

"You only said that because you have never seen me kill people mercilessly. You only read them on the pages of my book." His voice was bitter and full of hatred. I couldn't tell if he directed that hatred towards the cruel world he was born into or towards himself for mercilessly killing those people. "Those books, those scenes, I have lived them, Xy, which is why it is not safe for you to be here, Xy. There are people who have done things far worse than what I did. I stand by what I said last night. You would be safer with Ryker Cromwell. The Erebus and Atlas or anyone who wants to harm you would think twice if you are with The Ethereal unless we wish to start a pack war."

* * * * * * *

"First of all, why would anyone here want to harm me?" I asked, not finding his solution appealing at all. "You said that your Alpha asked you to keep an eye on me to make sure that I am still alive. People who want me to stay alive can't want me dead, Eros, unless they're either bipolar or a bunch of indecisive people who need to grow up." I caught something in his eye and instantly knew that there was something that he was not telling me. "What is it? Tell me. I mean it when I said I would never trust you again if you don't spill the beans."

"It's about your mother, Xy."

"What about my mom?" I asked carefully, holding my breath as I waited for his answer.

"She was not just your father's mate." Eros ran his fingers through his platinum-blonde hair. "The Night Walker's Alpha, Oscar Sinclair, claimed that your mother was his mate, too. Your mother was stuck in between your father and Alpha Sinclair. Since both men refused to share, there was a duel." Eros shook his head. "And you can pretty much guess the rest of the story."

"So Oscar died? My dad killed him?" I was somehow in disbelief that my dad had killed another human. Well, werewolf, but still.

"As I said, Xy, there are many horrible things that happened here. According to my dad, the Night Walker pack may seek revenge, since your dad initiated and challenged Alpha Sinclair to a duel. As much as I hate The Ethereal, you will be safer there."