Chapter 32: Ariana

I slammed the door to Georges apartment shut.

George! I swirled around to face him. What were you thinking?

I wasnt, He replied. A smile twitched across his face.

Why are you smiling? I yelled at him. We just stole something expensive! Were going to be arrested now!

Ari! George shook my shoulders. Listen. Were not going to be arrested! They wont find us!

I shook my head in a frenzy. You dont understand! You ruined my life now! I cant be arrested! Especially because of something you did!

George gawked at me. I did not do anything, you ran from the store with me.

A laugh escaped my mouth. Wow. George made me steal something and was now laying the blame on me? No. Thats not fair, not fair at all. How dare you make me steal something and then you blame me? I raised my voice by a notch. Youre the one who told me to run!

George sighed. "Ariana, you said you wanted that necklace and look, He pointed at my neck, now you have it.

The amount of calm in Georges voice made something snap inside of me Would you stop acting like you know everything! All you do is sit around on the couch all day with those stained shirts of yours drinking your beer! I dont want to be like those people who robbed that bank a couple blocks away! I really dont! I paused for barely a second only to start another rant. And I dont expect you to understand, George, because what do you have to lose?

George grimaced. What do I have to lose? He pointed around his apartment in a slow turn. Then his pointer finger finally landed on me, more accusingly than apologetically. I have a lot to lose Ariana. I have an apartment that I could lose, I have a job that I could lose. But you? You have nothing to lose. No job. No house. No anything except what? George pointed at himself. Me.

So that makes it okay to steal now, does it? I retarded back at him. His words had bruised my ego but also hurt me. I felt a tight knot in my throat, and my eyes were starting to glaze over with tears.

George covered his face with his hands for a moment, then released them to look back down at me. No, Ari, thats not what I mean. Look, George took my hands into his. I would do anything for you. I didnt know exactly how much you desired that necklace but I knew you wanted it. He paused for a moment, my hands still in his, then continued. I would go to jail for you. I would do anything for you, Ari. Just please dont be mad at me. Well fix this, I promise.

Was George trying to make me cry? I tried to blink back the tears but they overflowed my eyes and came running down my face. I melted into Georges arms. Im sorry. I whispered to him.