Chapter 4: Ariana

I wish I was also a lawyer like Conrad. We could work together and have the same cubicle. I could decorate his office too, I bet it's as plain as it could be. He would get mad though.. Or maybe I wouldn't want to be a lawyer, maybe that's too plain for me.

"Hello? Miss?"

"Huh?" I jumped out of my thoughts to a stranger eyeing me carefully. "Um, hi, yes, how may I help you today?"

"I would like to purchase this CD." The customer slid the CD towards me.

I nodded. "Is that all?" I looked down at the CD. "Harry Potter" It said in the front in letters with a bold font, and zigzags on each point.

"Yup." The customer said.

As I leaned down to find the scan on the back of the CD, my wavy brown hair got caught around my face, and one of the many necklaces I was wearing slipped outside of my T-shirt. I found the tag and quickly scanned it under the computer.

"Your total is $6.50" I told the customer, while brushing my hair out of my face.

"Thank you so much. I love that necklace you're wearing, it's beautiful."

"My necklace?" I pointed to the bright pink one. "This one?"

The customer shook her head. "The one above it."

My hand automatically went to the necklace. I felt my face slowly redden.

"Oh, thank you." I said as I handed her the CD.

The customer smiled and headed out the door, letting the shop bell ring behind her.

That necklace she was talking about, permanently fastened around my neck, with a tiny crystal hanging off it, had belonged to my mother.