Chapter 31: Conrad

I should have texted George that night right? Or Ariana? She was like a test tube for me, before I mess up my life I could try it with hers. Now what's a scientist without his test tube? Not just that. George was also a good friend, he was kind and he stopped me from being too nerdy. At this point, standing next to me, George looks like a nerd. I looked up at the ceiling in the movie theater backroom on top of the poofy cinderella dress on top of me. Apparently this place had plays before they had movies. I had always liked plays more, they felt more personal. You could catch the imperfections, the actors messing up and the raw footage. Look at me, thinking about plays. I got up and walked over to the exit, I came closer to the check in desk and saw Layla standing with Quinn. She scowled at me giving me an icy stare.

Hey Conrad. I haven't seen you in a while. she said. Quinn looked at me, as if that was proving some sort of point. He stood up from the nearby chair he was sitting at and took Laylas hand standing in front of her.

Can you move please? I asked, trying to get to the check in desk.

Why? Quinn said, challenging me.

I just need to get to the desk man, please. He reluctantly stepped aside pulling Layla with him. I walked past him silently. Squeezing in the cramped pathway so I don't touch anything. In my uniform already, I walked up to the register and waited for a customer quietly. Quinn and Layla were whispering about something, as if I cared. I have bigger fish to fry than worrying about their highschool drama.

- - - - - - -

Checkmate. Alex said, cackling as he took a sip of his fifth vodka tonic.

Wait a second, that's not a checkmate that's just a check. I said.

I can move my king here, eating this pawn and Im alive. I added.

Well that's still a stalemate. Alex said, looking at me proudly.

Actually it's not, Conrad can still keep playing. Denis said, pointing his finger to the king.

Nobody asked you, Denis. Alex snarked. I stood up and picked up the pieces. Losing against Alex was impossible, not because he's good, just because he found ways to work around the loss psychologically, toying with us. That's why I liked playing Denis more. I got more of a challenge and actually had a shot at winning.

So it's a draw I guess? Denis asked.

Nah I win. Denis wanna verse me? Alex suggested.

Im good, he said. Picking up a glass of water.

Jesus, OK fine. I'm going to the bathroom men see you guys later. he said running off.

Why are you even friends with him? I asked Denis, making sure Alex was a safe distance away. He took a sip of his water.

I- I don't know. I came to this bar once when I was having a tough time and I guess he thought I was a regular so he started talking to me.

Why don't you leave? You don't seem to enjoy your time here.

I guess I don't know man. Just.. Alex helped me a lot, he loaned me lots of money when I was struggling financially, and I guess I feel like hanging out with him is my payback.

How long have you been doing this?

About a year.

Denis! You don't have to hang out with him, I am sure you have better things you would rather be doing!

Yeah.. he said slowly.

Go! I said pushing him out of the Casino.

Uh! OK, cover for me OK? he asked. He walked out slowly, looking back at me.

Where is Denis? Alex asked, coming back from the bathroom, with lipstick all over his face.

Oh uh I don't know. I stammered.

Conrad. Where. The. Fuck. Is. Denis. Alex said, grabbing my neck with his hand, wrapping his cold fingers around it.