Chapter 30: Ariana

I rubbed my head with my hand. I have two whole essays to work on. I complained to George.

He gave me a smirk. I dont.

I gave him a glare.

College is weird. Why do you even still go?

Maybe because I want my bachelors degree?

Ariana, don't waste time on that, I stayed 2 years and look where I am? He said, signaling the apartment, with an open fridge with crates of bud light and peeling paint. The cheap lights flickered on the ceiling.

OK I know it's not a good look right now, but think about it, I have fun and I have a cool job. He added.

So what are you saying? I challenged, eyeing him.

I'm saying you don't need college. He responded, as he sat down on the stained leather couch and spread his arms, a pungent smell suddenly drifted into my nostrils. I waved my hand a bit and covered my nose.

George, if this becomes a per- I started.

Ditch it. You only live once, 30% of your life was already wasted on school, so why increase it? You die at like 80 anyway. George grinned.

Sounds like someone failed math class- I started, suddenly, George interrupted me, trying to say something. OK OK, I continued, before he added anything stupid. I'll do it. I got like 3 Ds anyways. Plus like 10 missing assignments. God college is brutal.

The couch shifted as I sat down beside him. We both sat in silence for a minute or two, before I piped up, Im going outside, I said, and went to get up from the couch but George grabbed my wrist.

Ariana, its freezing out.

I recalled my long trip in the cold, not a while ago. I was cold, but I lived.

Ill be fine. I told George.

He still pulled me back towards the couch. You know what I think will help? He asked, but didnt wait for my reply. Beer.

I gave him a stern look. Im still hungover, I dont need beer. I paused for a moment. But I may have needed some clothes. And food sounded really good right now. But you know what I- and we, do need?

What? Georges expression never faltered.

Groceries and clothes. George, your fridge is mostly just beer, and your shirts are all worn out. I stood up and started to walk over to my suitcase in the middle of the room.

George rose from the couch. Ari, you dont understand. I dont just earn money like that- George snapped his fingers. And I didnt have a boyfriend who bought clothes for me whenever I wanted them.

The words uttered from his mouth made me swivel around. I pointed a finger at him. Dont you bring Conrad into this.

His hands went up in the air. Fine. Fine Ari. Well go shopping, he said, rolling his eyes.

...

Eighty five dollars for a T-shirt? I immediately released the tag, suddenly afraid to damage it. I moved on to a cashmere sweater no doubt more expensive than the shirt.

I turned to face George. Lets go somewhere else.

He nodded. The cheapest thing I could find was a pair of socks for ten dollars.

Ten dollars for a pair of socks? I scoffed. No thanks.

Where are we going next? George asked. Then his face lit up with excitement. Home?

Did he mean that as if it was my home too? I brushed off the thought. Not yet, I pointed at the store across from us. Lets go there.

George raised his eyebrow, You want to go to the jewelry store?

I shrugged back at him, Why not?

OK, George said, hesitantly, but still followed me into the store.

I got the ring for me and Conrad at this store. So I didnt know why I was walking into it right now. But I did know that the necklace I was staring at looked so, very, pretty. The necklace was a thin line with tiny sparkles dotted into it with a heart shaped ornament hanging down the middle.

George looked over my shoulder at me. How much is that?

I checked the price tag below. One hundred dollars and ninety nine cents. I paused for a moment to read the description. Its supposed to be real gold.

George frowned at the price. Do you like it? He asked me.

I nodded.

Excuse me. Maam? George called the cashier over.

She gave us a wide, but surely fake, smile.

How may I help you today?

May she try on this necklace? George pointed at the jewelry.

Of course, the cashier said with another smile. She took out the necklace from the glass box and handed it to us.

George clipped it around my neck and smiled a toothy grin at me. You want to get it?

Really? I stared at him, wide eyed. I thought I was trying this on for fun. I hadnt considered buying it. Did George even have enough money for this?

If you want it so much, then yeah, Im sure.

I quickly nodded my head.

George looked back at the cashier. Can we look at that earring over there? He said pointing at the corner.

What? I thought. But then George bent down to whisper to my ear.

Run. And we ran.