❛︎ THE LETTERS ❜︎

chapter ten

    THE GIRLS sat back down in silence

THE GIRLS sat back down in silence. It's been a rough day and it's been hard to go through everything all at once.

Lila and Sam still had a hard time learning about their parents' past. It's hard knowing that their father was an active serial killer and their mother knew.

His franchise still lives on. It was only 2 years ago that another Ghost face pair resurfaced and killed again. It was only a matter of time before there was another. It didn't help that one of the people to thank for all of this was their father.

Lila took it upon herself to break the silence. They had to move on. "Mom, have you talked to Dr. Allen?"

Violet fought the urge to roll her eyes at the mention of that man, her doctor. He calls to ask about her blood pressure and check on the signs. At one point, Violet couldn't take the constant check-ups so she stopped answering. That led to Dr. Allen calling Chris. And when Violet wouldn't respond to Chris anymore he gave set instructions to the family and started talking about how it was all completely normal for a patient in her condition.

Everyone was talking about her like she was a 90-year-old woman one bend away from breaking her bones and dying.

Yes, she had cancer and would soon be dead, but she didn't want to be treated like that was the case.

"He talks to me, I don't talk to him."

"You should. He just wants to help."

Violet understood that, but he wasn't helping. He only made things worse. "And I don't want his help. I am perfectly fine..." her words slowed as she found it difficult to breathe. Her breaths slowed and started to shake. She took a moment to recover before she spoke again. "I am fine."

Lila scoffed, "of course, mom. You always are."

Sam looked over at her sister and reached out to hold her hand. "You are still taking your meds, right?"

Violet nodded annoyed with the cancer questions.

"Okay. As long as you stay on your meds everything is fine. She'll be okay, Lils." Sam was very good at keeping the peace between her sister and her mother. Lila worried a lot and Violet hated the hovering.

As the oldest, she felt like it was her job to keep everything calm and collected like it used to be.

They moved on and pushed the topic to the side.

Violet looked at the three envelopes still sitting on the table untouched. Usually when the letters came through the girls were too busy reading theirs that Violet could sneak away and read hers.

She always told them that she just ripped it up and trashed every single one. That was the furthest from the truth.

She read it, more than once, and added it to her box of letters. Depending on what it said and her mood she might even write one back.