Chapter XXIV - I Could Make You Care

Beginne am Anfang

"Then you wanted me to sleep next to you, hence why I was here."

"I-I, um, okay, I'm sorry for that then. Is there anything else?"

I knew if I got my answers, the only thing I can do it apologize no matter what. I just don't get it, how do I keep finding myself in these embarrassing situations?

"Is there.. Is there anything else?"

Ayanokouji-kun grabbing his phone, showed me his recent call history, "Yeah, since you, in a delusional state I suppose, wanted me to stay, I went to go get an extra set of clothes for myself back in my dorm. But even then, you wouldn't stop calling me every five minutes asking me when I'd return."

"Oh, okay, I'm sorry for that too," I apologized again, "Is that all?"

Although Ayanokouji-kun's responses were straight to point and always immediately after I asked, he seemed a bit hesitant this time around, almost as if he was contemplating whether or not he should say anything.

"No, that's all," he answered matter-of-factly.

"Okay, then, I want to apologize one more time. I'm sorry about everything."

"Nah, it's fine. Anyways, I'll be leaving now."

With that, Ayanokouji-kun went out the door and left with his bag in hand. If I take into consideration the amount of time we spent talking, we probably had around forty more minutes before school started, so ignoring this setback, I got ready for the day.

- XXIV.I -

Ichinose was now coming back to school. After recovering from her illness, people will be happy and the previous happy atmosphere she creates will return. However, once the school day started, Ichinose was not here. Was there a problem they ran into way here? No, there shouldn't be any but then again, anything can happen. The most common answer is that she is running late or is experiencing the aftermath of her sickness. At any rate, we will get our answer soon.

Once Chabashira-sensei came through the door, everyone got settled in. No one really questioned why Ichinose was gone, I'm sure they thought she was sick, which in fact, they were. But this time, it's different. She should've came back today and yet, Ichinose was still absent.

Anyways, I decided to hold off until the end of the day, if I needlessly act more than necessary, then more complications can come up as a result. Besides, should I spread the news about Ichinose's disappearance now, even though she recovered, then that alone can incite nervousness among my peers.

Skipping ahead, it was lunch time now. While everyone was walking out the door, I stayed behind instead. Purposely, throughout class, I've been paying extra special attention to Chabashira-sensei by looking her directly in the eyes, I wanted her attention for one specific reason. Normally, any other teacher would ignore it and think nothing of it but, Chabashira-sensei isn't exactly a normal teacher. Or that's not the impression I get from her anyways. In any event, she noticed me and stayed behind. Once everyone was gone, I stood up from my seat and approached her.

"Well? You have my attention, Ayanokouji. You should finish this quickly before next period starts."

"I understand, I won't take up too much of your time."

"Then in that case, what do you have to say?"

"Has Ichinose ever said anything about her absences? If so, when was the last time?"

"Yesterday and the day before, she called in sick. Today, she hasn't called."

I wasn't expecting a straight answer but nevertheless, I got what I wanted. It's as I thought, she was purposely absent. Her reason for not being here though is the real question. So nodding to Chabashira-sensei's response, I left the room.