>> eleven

I snap my eyes open and gaze around myself in wonder. I'm in the woods, completely dressed, not even barefoot, but I'm in the woods, while I should be asleep. Is this a dream?

No, my confused wolf answers and I frown. How is this possible. Last thing I remember was laughing with Cassie, telling her good night, putting my phone into a drawer because it kept lighting up the room every time Greyson would call and then I was fast asleep. How does a girl, even a werewolf end up in the forest while she's asleep?

I suddenly get dizzy and I look at my feet. And how am I asleep while standing? Do we sleep walk?

My wolf snorts at that. I believe at least I would know if we were.

Get your nose out of your tail and help me figure this out!

I can't! I... I don't remember, Katja. I frown. My wolf always remembers, always knows. She watches over me when I'm asleep, she has to know. I'm sorry.

A familiar ring tone goes off somewhere around and I've never been happier to hear it. I head in the direction of the sound, which proves to be harder than I first though, since the sound is bouncing off everywhere. But finally I spot it, laying in the grass, screen lit up. I snatch it up and answer, pressing it to my ear and holding it securely.

"Thank Goddess, Katja! Where the hell are you? My mom is completely out of her-"

"I don't know," I answer shakily before he finishes. He's silent for a bit.

"What do you mean you don't know? Are you safe?"

"I think so... I just don't know where I am. I... I must have sleepwalked or something." I can't pick our scent up, there are too many of them. My wolf announces and I close my eyes. I try not to turn around in panic and start running around, because wherever I am is the only place I right now know and I don't know if another step would lead me in or out of the pack's territory, perhaps even onto another one.

Katja? My wolf asks shakily.

Yes?

These scents belong to rogues.

My heartbeat accelerates and I let out a shaky breath.

"Katja? Did you hear me?" Greyson asks and I shake my head, only to realize a bit after some silence that he can't actually see me.

"No, sorry. Can you repeat?"

"Can you describe your surroundings?"

I look around and frown. How do you describe a simple forest? Describe the trees.

"Goodness gracious, it's a forest, Greyson. There are a few birches, at least one maple, big elm-"

"Go to the elm." I stay still for a few seconds in confusion before I start heading towards the large elm that looks sort of scary from a far, but lovely up close. "Circle the tree, eyes on the bole." I take slow and calculative steps around the tree, my eyes running up and down the bole of it, until the spot something – a carving. "Do you see it?"

"The carving?"

"Yes, okay good. I know where you are. I'll call my mother and she'll come and get you. Stay there."

He hangs up and I sit down by the tree. He didn't sound sweet, nor was his voice gentle. He was pissed off, possibly by me although I have no idea what I did wrong. Because I literally have no idea what I was doing for the most of the night, or where I was over all.