>> two

Edited: December 2, 2016

 The entire clearing was quiet and the crowd around us took a step back. My mate's eyes shone with happiness. In an unexpected movement, he lifted me up from the ground by my waist and did a whole three hundred and sixty degree spin around himself, while I supported my hands on his shoulders, teeth biting down on my lip harshly to stop the surprised yelp. He let out a short laugh, before setting me down on the ground.

While his eyes shone of happiness, mine must have shown ultimate shock and confusion. This was my mate. My mate was a Lycan, a heartbreakingly beautiful and frightening creature standing right in front if me, beaming as if he'd found the light of his life.

"Everyone continue checking!" I jumped at the sound but my mate stayed unaffected.

"What your name, my love?" he asked gently, keeping his hands around my waist. My mouth was closing and opening like a fish's and no sound escaped. He tilted his head to the side in concern.

'Get it together,' I ordered myself harshly.

"K-Katja," I stuttered finally and he grinned widely, all residue of worry wiped clean from his face.

"I've been waiting for you for a very long time, Katja," he spoke gently and brushed his thumb against my cheek. It was our first skin to skin contact and I jerked back in surprise when I felt the warm and electrifying effect it had on my skin. He looked surprised that I pulled away, but when I leaned back forward a smile settled on his face again.

"My name is Greyson," he added a short while after and I gave a small nod. More and more girls disappeared from around us, many, if not all of them gave us longing looks. After the crowd had fallen apart, the leader of Lycans and also the father of my mate walked forward, out of the line of his people. 

"We haven't had any results once again, but we will return in a few years if this continues. If anyone finds her before we do, be sure to let us know or bare the consequences," he spoke with a bitter, disappointed tone and then his eyes fell to his son.

"Katja!" I spun around and took a few short strides forward to meet Gran and Simon half way over to me.

Simon wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head against my stomach. His shoulders shook and I held him tighter. "Hey, Simon. Shh, it's alright," I whispered and crouched down to look at him. His lip trembled and it absolutely broke me to see him like this.

"No it's not. He's taking you away from us," Simon said and threw an accusing look behind me at Greyson. Breath caught in my throat. He was going to take me away indeed, I knew it. I just forgot about it in the whole meeting-for-the-first-time haze. My chest clenched at the thought of leaving and I pressed my shaky hands to my sides. All the ABCs about mates suddenly seemed a lot harsher in real life.

"It's okay," I croaked out and Simon wrapped his arms tightly around my neck. I hugged him back, rubbing my hand along his back. "You're strong and you're capable. You can continue helping Gran for me," I whispered to him and pressed my eyes shut tightly, before any tears could slide down my cheeks.

Simon sniffled and took a step back. I opened my eyes and stood up straight. I took another step forward, before falling into Gran's warm embrace. When I pulled back from the hug, I saw her smiling, although her eyes were filled with sorrow.

"You're destined to him for a reason, Katja, don't doubt it. We'll miss you so much, but I hope you'll at least somehow find a way back to us someday, even if just for a little while," Gran spoke gently, before her eyes drifted past my head at my awaiting mate.

I looked over my shoulder at him too to see him talking to one of the Lycans, before the man walked off. Greyson looked back at us and then he walked forward. He walked so gracefully along the white little flowers hidden between grass blades, it was kind of heartbreaking to watch. I kept wondering how such a creature could even exist and how could he look so sweet and soft on the outside, unlike his comrades. Maybe it was just me.