>> ten

When I woke up again, it was to the sound of tapping. Momentarily, I was confused of my surroundings as I sat up on the bed and looked around myself with frightful eyes. You know that moment when you think 'Oh, I'll sleep for a few hours' and in the end wake up confused of who, where, when and how you are. This was me.

I gazed around the nice cottage room. Apparently I was on a high king-sized bed. On both sides of the bed were nightstands and to my right, after a bit of empty floor, was the window that still made the tapping sound. Or more like those were the raindrops that fell against it.

My eyes slid over the chest of drawers, closet, table and chair, shelves of books and little items, until they landed on the one thing in the middle of the room – my luggage. I sighed and wiggled myself out of the cocoon of sheets I had turned myself into and walked over to it.

After I had liften it onto the bed, opened it and rummaged through it, I found the perfect outfit for a weather like this. I slid off the jeans, t-shirt and, frankly, jacket I had fallen asleep with and quickly changed into loose sweats and a grey shirt. My hair remained the mess it was, but I wasn't all that bothered by it. I'd have to get a shower later.

Biting my lower lip, I opened the only door in the room and slipped into the hallway. As I was out of that room, I slowly began remembering the detail prior to my nap and I walked down the corridor.

"Katja!" I followed the sound and into a gorgeous cottage kitchen. The wooden counters and island in the middle of the kitchen, yet the modern technology and silvery decorations made it feel very humble, even safe, which was odd since silver is technically our biggest weakness. The decorations didn't however look to be made out of real silver.

In the midst of it all, Cassie stood behind the stove and hadn't even looked up. She was gently placing eggs in the boiling water. "Hi," I said shyly and, as soon as she was done with her task, she turned around and gave me a warm smile.

"You're already awake!"

"Already? I thought it must have been like twelve hours or so," I muttered and scratched my neck awkwardly. She giggled and shook her head.

"No. You were asleep for only three hours. What woke you up? I hope it wasn't me hustling around," she said and instantly her eyes held worry.

I gave a slight wave with my hand, trying to put her worries at ease. "No, no. It wasn't you at all. Actually, it was the rain. I've always had a thing for the rain. Even as I child I couldn't sleep while it rained," I said and chuckled slightly. Her face was graced with a somewhat dreamy look.

"Greyson's the same. Oh! Speaking of him, he called. He wants you to call him back." She raised her eyebrows, waiting for my answer. Could I just tell that extremely lovely lady that I didn't want to have anything to do with her son at that moment? No, I couldn't. I was still drowsy and the feeling of disappointment was still fresh, but I was going to suck it up for the sake of my mate's mother and my, possibly gone ballistics, mate. I gave a curt nod and instantly Cassie rushed to get the phone. She returned with a phone much alike to the one Greyson had, except this one was white and she handed it to me straight.

"We always have a big amount of technology. But Greyson insisted you should have your own phone. He also gave your family the number, so they can reach on it. His number, mine and the girls' you arrived with have been entered already, you'll receive your family's when they call you."

I accepted the device and thanked her silently. She brushed it off as if it was nothing big, but to me it was. Because, first of all, I was so far from my family and my mate, who I was still pissed with, was somewhere in the world, traveling and searhing for that Ruby girl.