23. Reconcile

"I want to know the truth", Shaurya demanded Jeevan. It was hard for him to contain his anxiety till morning. At first chance, he pulled Jeevan to an isolated corner of the house. He opened Mehek's journal and place it on before Jeevan. The latter's bafflement faded once he read the page before his eyes. 

"Why do you want to rake the past?", Jeevan asked Shaurya softly, "My brother, his ex wife and you mother; none are alive now to clarify their part". "But I need to know", Shaurya was restless, "am I reason Mehek decided to ruin herself?". "Not at all", his uncle snapped back, "She is responsible for her own fate. In her impulsiveness, she didn't care to open her heart to her own father. She should have in the least confronted him before choosing to ruin herself". He brought a bit of comfort to Shaurya's conscience which was restlessly tormenting him. "Still, I need to know", he was desperate, "as a son it is my right to know".

"My brother was in love with your mother. I assume she too fancied him", Jeevan finally told him the truth, "if fate would have been merciful, they may have ended together. But they didn't". Shaurya was already aware how his cunning father trapped his innocent mother. "After her marriage, my brother was heartbroken It lead to a huge mistake of marrying Mehek's mother. He should have given himself time to heal before abruptly moving ahead", Jeevan tried to put his explanation as discreet as possible, "His bride was a rich heiress. They had nothing in common except wealth & legacy. He was unable to give her a place in his heart while she failed to come in terms with her husband's neglect. He respected her as Mehek's mother but her rash behaviour and pride never won his heart". "How can he when he was still  in love with his first love?", Shaurya spoke bitterly. "Rubbish", Jeevan snapped at him, "don't dare to disrespect him or your mother", he tried hard to control his anger, "She may have resided in a lone corner of his heart, nothing more. Neither him nor your mother tried to interfere in one another's life".

Shaurya had to agree. Despite being with an abusive husband, his mother never crossed her boundaries and remained loyal to him. Until she became desperate to save her son, she never sought help from Balwant Sharma. He too have no recollection of Balwant Uncle before she brought him to his abode. They were unfortunate souls with an incomplete love story. "Unlike, Mehek's perception, you were never above her. He treated you both fair. You both were equal for him. He loved you just like his own child. While Mehek enjoyed privileges of being his heir, he protected you as his own. He may have seen reflection of your mother in you. However it was you who won his affections. He trusted you enough to take care of Mehek".

"I feel terrible. He shouldn't have considered me, an orphan as equal to his own daughter", Shaurya rubbed his forehead in dismay, "It's me who snatched away her share of love. I destroyed Mehek's life". Jeevan shook his head, "No, you are not. You were the innocent boy who was always condemned. I would blame Mehek's mother who sowed seeds of hatred while justifying her own decision of leaving her daughter. My brother may also be considered responsible since he couldn't see through her daughter's plight. Mehek herself for keeping her thoughts bottled up without giving her father a chance to explain". 

Shaurya could make sense of his words yet deep down he felt a pang of guilt. "Shaurya, don't drown yourself in remorse", Jeevan tried to console, "Forget the past. Perhaps, her loss of memory is a chance for both of you. Look over the yesteryears and move on to a bright future. Mehek whom we now know, loves you a lot. It's your turn to reconcile. You both have suffered enough so don't torture yourself further ".

"Where were you?", Mehek asked cheerfully once Shaurya returned back to their room. "Morning walk", he lied to her. She was keeping their stuffs into the bag. "I wish we could stay here more", she wished since their weekend trip was going to over. "We can stay longer, if you want", he spoke quickly. "Really?", she was amazed. "Anything for you", he wanted to make her smile. Her astonishment grew, forcing her to pinch herself, "Ouch! Not a dream". He chuckled at her antics but quickly grew serious, "I want you to be happy, Mehek".

"And I want to see your beautiful smile", Mehek tapped his nose. She realised that soon the months time they have given for their marriage will be over. "Shaurya, do you want us to be more than friends?", she asked genuinely. He didn't have an answer for her. Leaving her was no longer possible for him. Still he was unsure whether he was ready to pursue a romantic relationship with her. Even if he tried, she will leave him once her memories are back. Nevertheless he wanted to have a chance to explain his side. A possibility which was denied to her father. "I don't know, Mehek", he sounded tired, "I really don't", he sighed, "so I let you decide for us".

"I don't what you to be the man whom you were when I woke up", Mehek told him earnestly, "A bitter man who held secrets while smiling menacingly at my plight". Shaurya tried to apologize but she stopped him, "I don't blame you, Shaurya. I know my illness and our past are the reasons. I may not have my memories yet I feel none were pleasant for either of us". He agreed to her words. "We can't be sure of our future, Shaurya. Still I want you to know that I wish you to have your own happily ever after", she blinked away her tears, "even if I am not there in the picture, I will be truly happy". He embraced her in awe. The Mehek before him was trying to rebuild everything she had destroyed in anger. He admired here attempt to restore their life. For a moment, he wished she will never regain her memories. The lady in his arms was too pure to be lost to reality.

"Let us take it slow, my friend", Shaurya broke their hug," and see where we are heading". Mehek nodded, "To be honest, I feel I already got my wish", she spoke confidently, "I got the Shaurya who genuinely cares for me and truly happy in his life. Just promise me that you will never let bitterness draw you back into the darkness". Once realising his folly of misunderstanding Mehek, he had given up his vengeance plan. Darkness has left him, making aware of his beautiful life. "I promise", he gave her his word. Beyond his promise, he wanted to be a better version of himself.

Weeks passed. Khanna mansion once again started feel like home. Mehek and Shaurya were discovering a new path, although still unaware of their destination. They didn't allow uncertainly of future to blur their joy. Both were happy to have found their nest. Until one evening, Shaurya got a frantic call from Jeevan, "Mehek suddenly fell ill. She is admitted in hospital. Come quickly"