19 A Mother like None other

"Mehek loves children", Nehal giggled when Shaurya told about their visit to orphanage, "She always did, even when pretended to act snobbish. If a crying baby was found amidst her busy shopping spree also, she would have dropped everything to pacify it". Shaurya wore a smug expression, clearly he was unaware of this trait of her and refused to deceived by Nehal's words. "I wonder why she have become rude and uncaring but I believe deep down she was the same Mehek", she added while looking onto her cousin who sat alone admiring flowers in their garden while they both had strolled a bit further. "And you know nothing about her mother, do you?", he asked. "As far I know, she died when Mehek was little. Nothing more", she replied, "but I agree it is a bit strange that she is forgotten like she was never there".

Shaurya had little hope that Nehal may know something yet it was disheartening to reach another dead end. He had expected Sharma family to be conscious to keep their family secret hidden especially if it could harm their reputation. Still he didn't foresee when Jeevan and even Kanta brushed aside his questions. They have also parroted similar lines what Nehal has just told him. Unlike her, they were clearly hiding the truth. Although futile, he was intrigued. He was possessed by a need to uncover truth about his mother-in-law. Thinking rationale, he decided to approach one person who could provide him apt answer to solve the mystery surrounding Mrs. Sharma.

He is Advocate Mehta. Although retired and settled in his luxurious abode, he was still well known in his profession. When Shaurya proposed to meet him, sensing eagerness in his tone, Adv. Mehta quickly invited him to join for evening tea at his home. "So how are doing, Mr. Khanna?", Mehta asked playfully. "Sir, please don't embarrass me. I am still the same Shaurya who used to run errands in the company". Mehta laughed softly, feeling happy that success hadn't gotten hold of his head. His humility earned Mehta's admiration. Although Mehta was from elite crowd, he left family business for his passion for law. So unlike other privileged crowd he was not judgmental but values talent & hardwork. He knew Shaurya will do well but was quiet surprised with his tremendous growth and success.

Once they were done exchanging pleasantries, Mehta urged Shaurya to feel free to consult him. "I want to support Mehek in her recovery", Shaurya started with a white lie, "she needs emotional healing just as physical. We all are doing our best yet I feel it is not enough". Mehta was unable to comprehend so he continued, "Recently she asked me about her mother. I felt so bad that I had nothing to answer". Mehta looked down as if sensing the query coming his way. "In past, Balwant uncle and Mehek never mentioned about her mother. I assumed she passed away long back. But in truth I know nothing". "How will it help, Mehek?", Mehta asked straight, trying to pierce his intentions. He hid his nervousness well while uttering his rehearsed lines, "By any chance if she is alive", he spoke doubtfully, "perhaps her presence can help Mehek".

Mehta sat quietly, pondering how to handle Shaurya. Professionally, there was no breach of commitment. His client Balwant is no more while his daughter is not stable, entrusting Shaurya as their next kin. Yet he didn't feel comfortable to blatantly open his late friend's personal life. Sensing his reluctance, Shaurya decided to give up and pursue another channel however when he was about to give up, Mehta spoke, "Mehek's parents separated when she was a baby. Few years later, they got legally divorced leaving entire custody of Mehek to her father". "Didn't Balwant Uncle even allow her visitation rights?", Shaurya was surprised. Mehta didn't answer him directly, "Both were from influential wealthy families. Needless to say divorce procedure was a quiet affair. A mutual agreement to separate legally. No fights for custody or alimony. Both parties wanted a closure without drama".

In short, Mehek's intuition was not baseless. Indeed her mother abandoned her. Can his uncle be so adamant not to allow his ex wife to be part of their daughter's life? Still it was hard to believe. Uncle was a kind hearted and understanding soul. He can never come in terms that Balwant Uncle would deprive his daughter from her mother's love just to boost his ego. Only plausible explanation was the reason of their separation. "Why did they divorce?", he asked impulsively. As if expecting the question, Mehta shot it down swiftly, "I am not at the liberty to disclose it". Shaurya understood that any amount of persuasion will not bring out the secret from him.

It was now pointless to find the woman who was never part of Mehek's life. Still to appease his lingering curiosity, he asked, "Can we trace her out?". "She is no more, Shaurya", Mehta answered, "she married again and settled abroad. Sometime after your marriage she passed away". "Are you sure?", he was still appeased. "I am sure", Mehta was firm, "I was asked to execute her will which left a considerable amount of money for Mehek. But she refused to accept it". Shaurya was once again shocked. If Mehek had enough money to free herself then why did she deny. Mehta smirked watching his reaction, "Mehek was too proud to accept her mother's charity left after her death. She is not an easy girl to appease".

Shaurya's mind was in turmoil when he bid farewell to Mehta. He had expected to clear the confusion but it got muddled further. "Shaurya, if I may add", Mehta wanted to advise him before they parted, "Mehek's mother is a closed chapter in her life. Digging up her past will only bring sorrow to her. So let it be", he patted his shoulder, "you and Mehek are now married,  leading a good life. Raking up past of your parents will not bring you any good". His last words brought chill down his spine. The sudden reference of his mother and father brought uneasiness to him. Are their life entangled from previous generation?

No. Shaurya shook his head in dismay. His mother was epitome of care and love. She sacrificed her life for him to have a good future. While Mehek's mother chose to abadone her. She may have her reasons or perhaps she didn't. At the end of the day, she moved on to have another family while not glancing back at her daughter. Mehek had a good father who took care of her while his father was a criminal whose deeds haunted him even after his demise. He cannot comprehend the lives of their parents ever overlapping one another.

Shaurya scoffed bitterly, feeling sad. Him and Mehek, they both took over their mothers. While he tried to lead an honest life, she aborted child in her womb. It would have come natural to her to abandon her child rather than taking risk to bring it to the world. He tried to fuel his hatred towards her. Yet he felt empathetic towards her. Both of them lacked one side of their parents; he didn't have a father while she was forsaken by her mother. When balancing he failed to ignore that her side weighted more. He had cherished memories of his mother who gave him strength to move ahead along with a father figure in Balwant Uncle. Mehek lacked motherly care throughout her life while her father's efforts to compensate spoiled her further. Perhaps if she had her mother, their lives would have been different.

That evening when Shaurya returned home, unknowingly he saw Mehek under a different light. She appeared to be a lost even beside her Uncle and Aunty; her so called immediate family. As soon as her eyes fell on him, they glowed with happiness. Just like a child who was eagerly waiting for her mother to come back and take her in her arms. Before she moved towards him, he walked near her. "How was your day?", he asked her earnestly, perhaps for the first time in a while. They both knew nothing exciting would have happened in her routine day. Yet it made her feel happy to be asked. "It was fine", she replied and asked about his day. "Good", he sighed relaxing on a seat beside her, "Mehek, can you make some tea for me?". She was visibly surprised since he had made it clear that she not supposed to interfere with his food or drinks. She quickly nodded, fearing he will change his mind if she delays. "Black. Less Sugar", he softly explained. "I know", she excitedly moved towards the kitchen, without making any effort to hide her enthusiasm.