1. Comma

"Car was moving in high speed. Clearly she lost control, leading to crash", Inspector explained his findings to Shaurya and Sharma family. "The man with her", he paused to check name in his file while Shaurya stiffened, "Mr. Azaan Mirza died on spot. It was a fatal accident. Mrs. Mehek Khanna is indeed fortunate to escape alive". "Alive??", Kanta raised her voice in anger & sorrow, "she is in coma. God knows whether she will ever come out of it". "Kanta, please calm down", Jeevan tried to pacify her.

Inspector shrugged in irritation. It just another day of work for him. He had seen enough grieving families that he failed to feel for them. Besides the spoilt brat didn't deserve any sympathy. Her adventurous escapade with her lover turned ugly, leading to the tragedy. He could only sympathise with her husband who was left to bear the consequences. "Nothing more to investigate. I am closing file considering this as an unfortunate accident", he extended file to Shaurya, "unless you feel otherwise". Inspector felt relieved when Shaurya shook his head and took the pen from him to sign the document.

Shaurya stared at his wife, the pampered princess of Sharma family who was lying lifelessly on the hospital bed. Her body was covered in bandages and surrounded with tubes connected to various machines. He was supposed to pity but all he could feel was anger. Why couldn't you just die ? His inner self screamed however he managed to keep a poker face.

"Shaurya", Jeevan's voice woke him from his trance, "I know it is hard but you need to be strong". He nodded absentmindedly. "After sudden demise of Elder Brother, our business has been spiraling down", he sighed looking at Mehek, "Although she boasted to be the successor, she failed to handle it. She lacked experience and skills, especially patience". Since Shaurya remained unmoved, he went on, "It was you who kept it afloat. If not for you, we would have lost it all by now". "I just did what I could do", Shaurya replied nonchalantly, "I owe it to Balwant Uncle".

"Now it's your turn to take the reins, Shaurya", Jeevan spoke decisively, "Sharma empire needs a leader like you". Shaurya shook his head vigorously, " I never asked for any of these". "I know", Jeevan knew Shauyra always stayed behind scenes, forsaking credit to Mehek as he was never a gold-digger, "But now it is entrusted to you". "I can't", he refused again, "it belongs to her not me". He wished to spread his wings and touch the sky, breaking free from the shackles bound him to the unwanted. "I know it is difficult but you have to. For her", he gestured to Mehek's body.

Being frustrated, Shaurya existed the room. He didn't care whether Sharma empire collapsed and they all come to streets. He didn't even spare a thought whether Mehek will suffer a painful fate without proper treatment owing to lack of money. He may be tagged as a loser who left it all behind but he wanted to escape. Duty and gratitude have had only made him suffer so far. He wanted peace. Yet he wondered whether he will be able to find solace even at the end of the world.

May be it was coincidence, his footsteps were led straight to a dingy corner of hospital. The same police inspector stood beside a woman. Upon seeing him, he spoke without preface, "She is widow of Mr. Mirza. Mrs. Shayara Mirza". Shaurya was unable to contemplate a suitable response while she was introduced. The lady stood numb without acknowledging his presence. He was saved from awkaerdness when body of Azaan was wheeled to them. "Don't worry, Ma'am. All arrangements for funeral has been taken care", one of the staffs informed her. "Thank you", Shayara replied feebly.

"He is Shaurya Khanna", inspector informed Shayara as they watched the body to be taken into the ambulance. Shaurya cursed when inspector added, "Husband of Mehek Sharma. I mean Mrs Mehek Khanna". Shaurya has expected Shayara to lash out at him. He was used to be at the receiving end for Mehek's ill deeds. While he prepared her outburst, she stood silent looking at him sadly. He didn't have courage to speak anything until the inspector left them. "I am sorry for your loss", finally he managed enough courage to speak to her.

"Don't be", Shayara smirked, "If not for my daughter, I wouldn't have even come to collect his body. He deserved to rot". Tears streaking her cheeks gave away that she was trying her best to be strong. Shaurya stood silent unable to gather his words. Atleast she was luckier than him. She was finally free from a cheater husband. "He got an easy way out, without suffering aftermath of his wrongdoings. I feel sorry, only for that", Shayara spoke conclusively, "Good Bye, Mr Khanna". With those words, she adjusted her veil and keeping her chin high, she walked away with pride.

Shaurya was left behind stunned yet to ponder over. Mehek's life was paused. And she deserved it. But as usual he was not spared. As if, a comma was placed on both their story. Perhaps, providence. He recalled, Shayara's words. Death would have been too easy for her, a quick exit. She is supposed to suffer. It will be fun to see his tormentor paying price for her ill deeds. A strange satisfaction swept into his veins. They are bonded so he can never be free from her unless she dies. But he will be able to take his revenge on her now. A befitting punishment for her grave mistakes.