4.Mockery

Shaurya was laughing out loud. He laughed so much that his eyes started to tear up. "Who would have thought that Nehal will be daring enough to fight for her love?", he asked Mehek, "the meek mouse of your lot". He glared at his unconscious wife. Contempt was evident in his eyes as he wiped of his tears. "Why didn't you fight for your love, Mehek?", he asked her angrily, "you would rather blame me for your cowardice rather than face the music". He smirked, "Perhaps you knew you will be nothing if you have left your father's legacy".

*********Mehek barged into Shaurya's cabin and threw the file she had at his desk, "What the hell is this?". He was shocked by her sudden outburst. Embarrassed being observed by other employees, he quickly closed the door of his cabin. Sadly they could still see them through transparent glass walls. "You own half of my inheritance", she shouted at him. Being baffled, he read the file, "I have no idea, Mehek. Balwant Uncle never told me anything". "Oh! Save it", she snapped at him, "I will never let you get even a penny that belongs to me. Even if I have drag you though court for decades, I will". "Mehek, please this a misunderstanding. Let's sit and talk. I am sure we can work it out", he requested her.

"You are a greedy scum", Mehek accused him mercilessly, "Shamelessly agreeing to marry a woman who loves another. My father's money was always your goal. Your facade may fool him not me". "Mehek, please lower your voice", Shaurya was mortified when other were gathering around his cabin. "You planned it cleverly to loot us. My proud & foolish father fell for your tricks", she took the paper and tore it into pieces, "I will never let you win, Shaurya". Before leaving, she threw torn pieces onto his face.

Shaurya looked around to face people who were crowded outside his cabin. Mehek made him go through another level of humiliation. But his patience was wearing out. He was no longer a helpless boy who was forced to suck it all to stick around. Being determined he walked towards Balwant Sharma's room. He is indebted to the father figure but he couldn't bear it anymore. He cannot be with Mehek anymore. More than her, now he wanted to be free from their loveless marriage.

"Balwant Uncle", Shaurya was unable to find a proper preface to start his conversation. "I know it, Shaurya", the paternal head sighed in dismay even before he could breach the topic, "I am aware of the scene Mehek created today". Shaurya was ashamed to know that news traveled so fast in their office. "It's beyond my limit. I cannot handle the burden of this meaningless relationship marriage ", Shaurya told him the truth, "I owe my life to you, Uncle. I will not blink an eye if you want to take my life. But I cannot bear being tied to Mehek". "

"Shaurie", Balwant called him affectionately with the pet name his mother used, "you are a son to me. I never differentiated you with my own child". Shaurya smirked, "I find it hard to believe", although he had immense regards for Balwant Sharma, sadness and anger had taken a toll on him, "If I were your son, then you wouldn't have asked me to marry Mehek. I am just a charity case. An investment you cashed when in dire need".

Balwant tried to embrace Shaurya but he moved away. Years of pent up frustration and sorrow needed to be vent out. "You gave me a life only to snatch away my future. You build my self respect but eventually made a mockery of me. I wish you would have left me alone to rot in those streets rather than take care of me. Atleast I would have been spared life long humiliation. You took me in so that you can break me completely". "Please don't say that my son", Balwant was deeply touched, "I promised your mother...". Shaurya interrupted him , "All my life I was humiliated by your family and friends. You cared about your promise but never cared about me. You threw me amongst the wolves while expecting me to fend for myself. I never complained. But worst was when you forcefully tied me to Mehek". Tears were adorning his face. He quickly wiped it off, "I don't want anything from you. Neither your wealth nor your daughter. Please let me go or I will perish. I can't take it anymore"

"Son", Balwant whimpered while clutching his chest. "Uncle", Shauyra yelled and ran towards him before he fell down. "Forgive me, my Son", he caressed his cheek, "I am really sorry".

Guilt was eating Shaurya while waiting for Doctor. Anger had blinded him, bringing the worst out. The man who had taken care of him was now lying in death bed because of his fault. He never ceased to send prayer to keep his uncle safe.

It was shock for all that Balwant Sharma is a heart patient who was counting his last days. Doctors revealed that he was already of his situation many months prior. Once he gained conscious, Mehek was called inside. Teary eyed daughter was with her ill father for long until nurse came out to summon Shaurya. As Mehek walked out, Shaurya entered the room where Balwant was being treated. "I am sorry Uncle for I have hurt you deeply", he folded his hands, begging for forgiveness, "I never knew about your condition. I made your unwell". The old man shook his head, gesturing him to sit beside him.

"I acted in haste, Shaurie", Balwant confessed, "When I knew, I had less time I wanted to save my daughter. I couldn't entrust her to anyone else other than you", he sighed, "but it was a mistake. A grave one, destroying both your lives". Shaurya sat silently beside him. "While I thrived to give you good values, I miserably failed disciple my own daughter. She is stubborn and foolish. I was afraid her life will be destroyed if she had married the one she claimed to love. I would have allowed her to gamble if I had enough time left in my life". But I don't have much time left". 

"Please don't say like that", Shaurya was teary eyed. "It is the truth my son", Balwant weakly tried to hold on to his hand, "You are my only child whom I trust. Our business is yours as much as it is Mehek's. It is not a charity but your right because you are my legacy", he breathed hard, "I will not ask you be Mehek's husband anymore. But please don't abandon her. She needs a home to come back when she realises her folly". Before listening to Shaurya response, Balwant closed his eyes******