11. Never Asked for It

Shaurya asked his butler for a strong cup of coffee. He had slept for hours but not restful. He rubbed his temples to ward off lingering effect of sedatives he took last night. "Sir, your phone seems to have ran out of battery", his butler, Awara informed, "Jeevan Sir was trying to reach you". Shaurya sighed, trying to come in terms with the news that awaits him. He just nodded and forward his handset to him, "Can you put it to charge?", he asked absent mindly, 

Awara was not the part of the staff who came with legacy of Sharma household. He was new and specifically hired by Shaurya. Somehow, he trusted Awara, relying much on him for his daily routine. Shaurya asked him, "Why didn't you wake me up?". "Jeevan Sir told me not to. He just  told me to convey a message when you wake up", his butler cleared his throat awkwardly, " he requested to come to hospital after breakfast". 

Shaurya got out of his bed in hurry, "Get me the coffee quickly . I will be leaving soon so ask driver to keep the car ready". "Jeevan Sir had specifically told not to hurry", Awara told timidly, "perhaps it is better you don't leave in haste. Breakfast is already served Sir".

Reluctantly, Shaurya consumed food served before him. He had no appetite but his body needed energy. He washed done the bits & pieces he managed to chew down with help of bitter coffee. He was ready to leave but something held him back. Fear or Anticipation, he didn't know which was gluing him to his seat. He mentally prepared himself for the news Jeevan Uncle wanted to share with him. 

It is hardly a news. However he had to be ready to face it. Mayhap Mehek has survived another night, still clutching onto life remaining in her. At this juncture, Shaurya wasn't sure what to expect and how to react. Grabbing tightly on the coffee mug, he sat dubiously until Awara brought his phone. "Shall I ask the driver to bring the car?", Awara asked professionally. He nodded. Time to leave. 

Shaurya has already adorned his poker face once he entered hospital premises. However his heart was beating miles per hour, contradicting the mask he wore. Jeevan met him at the reception. His smart to move to block Shaurya from going towards wing where Mehek was admitted didn't go unnoticed. Both men tried to greet each other pleasantly but failed. Shaurya tried to hide his anxiety about her whereabout. While Jeevan fidgeted to dodge expectant queries. "Dr. Malhotra wants to meet you", Jeevan spoke before walking ahead, clearly he didn't want to explain himself.

Hairs behind neck stood up in anticipation, warning Shaurya. Something is amiss. If Mehek didn't make it last night, Jeevan wouldn't be beating around the bush but straight ahead broke the news to him. He may be sad but already accepted reality. He would have rather gulp the bitter pill than torment Shaurya with wait. No, it is more. Perhaps she survived for another night, still critical or may be out of danger. Then why withheld the information from him. Slowly fear of unknown started to seep into his skin.

"Mr. Khanna, please sit", Dr. Malhotra pointed to the chair before his table as soon as they entered. The thoughtful look the doctor shared with Jeevan made him further uneasy. "Will you tell me what's going on?", Shaurya lost it, "How is my wife?". The possessiveness he showed scared Jeevan while Doctor remained passive because he had seen worst. "Please take your seat", Dr. Malhotra told again, "It is going to be a long talk so you better get comfortable". Jeevan softly touched his shoulder urging him to remain calm. Reluctantly, he sank into the nearby chair. Meanwhile Doctor gestured, Jeevan as if giving him sign to go ahead. "Mehek is awake", Jeevan broke it to Shaurya.

"Do you want some more?", Dr. Malhotra asked as Shaurya chugged glass of water offered to him. Once he realised that Shaurya has calmed a bit, he went ahead. "It's a miracle, Shaurya. Mehek has finally recovered", Jeevan tried to soothe him. "I won't conclude that she recovered", Dr. Malhotra didn't believe in  giving false hopes to them. He knew Mehek's recent condition was owing to medical mishap from the team. Luckily, it woke her than putting stop to her life. "She is still not out of danger", he added. "What do you mean?", Jeevan was aghast. "We are still running tests to monitor her. She may have woken up suddenly but whether she is saved is till be answered", Doctor gestured to her reports, "I would say she is still critical".

"What do you recommend?", Shaurya asked once he gained back his voice. "Let's continue as we were", Dr. Malhotra informed, "giving her best medical care while monitoring her health. Perhaps she will get fine and come back to life", he paused for a moment, "but I don't want you to harbour any false hope", he stood up and moved towards Shaurya, "Be happy that you will be able to spend alteast some days with her, a life outside confinement of the bed". "Some days???", Jeevan asked concerned. "Perhaps few weeks, a month or if lucky a year. I cannot predict", Dr. Malhotra raised his palms in ignorance, "Lets hope for the best".

"Mrs. Khanna is in delicate condition", Dr. Malhotra reiterated to Shaurya & Jeevan, "we need to be extra cautious with her". Jeevan nodded while Shaurya simply walked beside them. Soon they will reach Mehek's room. He was expecting her outburst, revealing his deeds of revenge and cursing him for tormenting her. He cared little. Infact, he looked forward to it. He was keen to absorb her reaction when she knows that she has nothing left; no wealth or family support. She will be a zero unless he supports her. He smirked but hide it before anyone notices.

"See who all here to meet you?", Dr. Malhotra told Mehek who was being checked by few junior doctors. Shauyra had to admit that it was refreshing to see her seated on the bed, leaning over a pile a pillows to support her back. She looked on to them, hearing the doctor. Her eyes moved from Shaurya to Jeevan, for few times. She failed to show any signs of recognition. She appeared to be absolutely clueless. "Doctor", even her voice appeared to strange and hoarse, "who are they?". All were taken aback by her words. 

Dr. Malhotra coaxed her, "Mehek, they are your family", he explained pointing to Shaurya, "your husband", then his moved to Jeevan, "your uncle", he then faced Mehek, "don't you remember them?". "No, Doctor", she spoke feebly, "I don't".