32. Desperate Attempt.

Start from the beginning

The next step in my intricate plan involved blackmailing Avelyn, a task that surprisingly unfolded with relative ease. I strategically targeted her vulnerable maid, already consumed by fear of losing her job.

Armed with knowledge of her son's involvement in illicit activities, I dangled the threat of exposure like a sword over her head, ensuring her complete compliance.

The stakes were undeniably high, but my unyielding determination to be with Dante pushed me forward. My boyfriend tried running away from me in my last relationship and I had to take him out, but Dante was a man, and I knew he'd be happy with me.

Gaining entry into Dante's heavily guarded home proved to be no easy feat. His aversion to uninvited guests, save for trusted family and friends, posed an obstacle even though I was considered close family friend.

And even though I was a family friend it would've looked suspicious that I went there just before Avelyn's disappearance, so I needed to sneakily head inside his house, blackmail Avelyn and hack his video footage without anyone knowing.

However, thanks to the leverage I held over the maid, I successfully maneuvered past the barriers and gained access to her home unidentified, inching ever closer to the realization of my desires.

Fortunately, Avelyn remained oblivious to my true identity throughout my time as Dante's personal assistant. Prior to assuming this role, I had deliberately kept myself hidden from her, even though our families shared a close bond. Maintaining this secrecy was crucial to the success of my plans.

Having successfully gotten rid of Avelyn from Dante's life, my next objective was to forge a deep and intimate connection with him. I aimed to become the person he could lean on after the troublesome departure of his dumb wife.

Regrettably, as time passed, Dante grew increasingly absorbed in his work, inadvertently leaving me feeling neglected and insignificant.

The next thing that shocked me was the fact that Dante decided to travel to the same country Avelyn had fled to on pretense of a business. I knew Dante was searching for her as he didn't care about establishing a firm in New Zealand.

Now here I was running behind him and back to square one.

Moments ago, I made a swift exit from Dante's presence, determined to confront Avelyn's pesky kids once and for all. Can you believe she had the nerve to lay her hands on me? Thankfully, Dante saw through her nonsense and trusted my side of the story. I mean, who wouldn't?

So, seizing the opportunity, I tracked down those two little brats. They were now the biggest obstacle in my relationship with Dante, and it was high time I dealt with them. I had them tied up in this old, creepy building, being looked after by a couple of guys who I had managed to hire.

With a mixture of anger and satisfaction, I let them know exactly where they stood: "You know what? You won't be seeing your mom or dad ever again." I must admit, it felt good to lay down the law and put those kids in their place. They've been nothing but hell since I've kidnapped them.

Of course, they started crying like there was no tomorrow. I couldn't help but hiss at them, urging them to shut up through gritted teeth. It was a tough-love moment, you know? They needed to learn that they couldn't mess with me or come between me and Dante.

Look, I'm not being unreasonable here. I firmly believe that Dante should only be focused on our kids, not Avelyn's brood. It's about protecting our future and ensuring that our bond remains unbreakable. My commitment to that cause is unwavering.

In that defining moment, as I took charge and confronted those brats head-on, I felt a surge of determination. I was ready to do whatever it took to secure my place as the one and only guardian of Dante's heart and the sole influencer of our shared destiny.

Stepping behind the two kids just as I prepared to execute my sinister plan, a sudden commotion caught my attention. Men in sleek suits, wielding menacing firearms, materialized out of nowhere, immediately I knew them to be Dante's men.

Panic gripped me as I took a step back in fright, I realized that my carefully constructed scheme was about to crumble. But amidst the chaos, an unexpected turn of events unfolded.

Suddenly, a voice boomed from the shadows, cutting through the air like a sharp blade. "Catherine," he called out, his tone both familiar and filled with a mix of surprise and disappointment.

Startled, I turned my gaze towards Dante, who stood there, his expression a complex blend of anger and displeasure. My mind raced, desperately trying to comprehend how he had discovered my secret. I had been so careful, or so I thought.

"Dante, how... how did you find me?" I stammered, struggling to regain my composure.

A faint displeasure played on his lips as he took a step forward making my heart drop. "You're quite the actress, Catherine. I'll give you that," he replied, his voice tinged with a hint of bitterness. "But even the best performers leave behind traces, breadcrumbs that eventually lead to the truth. I've found out everything."

Confusion mixed with a growing sense of dread as I tried to recall any slip-up, any subtle clue I might have unwittingly left behind. But it all seemed hazy, as if my own deception had clouded my memory.

Dante glanced towards the twins who was tied up, their expressions a mixture of happiness and eagerness to get to him. "From the moment my wife told me about your involvement I never doubted her even after what she had done to me. My wife was always naive and innocent, pure hearted making her easy to manipulate but she was never stupid or crazy."

A surge of disbelief washed over me as I absorbed his words. His eyes darted back over to his kids that kept crying for him, a look of anger flashing in his eyes seeing his kids in that condition.

As the gravity of the situation settled upon me, I understood that I had underestimated the depths of Dante's perception. My carefully crafted world of manipulation had crumbled, and I stood exposed, confronted by the consequences of my actions.

"N-No you have it wrong; I found the babies. I was going to call you." I smiled as tried orchestrating another plan.

The look on Dante face showed he hadn't both my lie. Knowing that I was caught, panic surged through my veins, and I swiftly assessed the situation for any possible escape. My eyes locked onto the two children tied to the chair, their innocent faces filled with fear and confusion. Desperation fueled my next move.

In a calculated rush, I lunged towards the children, my hand reaching out to grab one of them. My mind raced with the grim realization that using them as leverage was my last chance at escaping the clutches of Dante and negotiating my freedom.

However, my desperate attempt was abruptly cut short. Before I could make contact with the child, a silent and sharp, piercing pain tore through my chest. The world seemed to spin in slow motion as my body went limp, collapsing to the ground in a lifeless heap.

It was not Dante's men themselves who had delivered the fatal blow. Instead, the shot had come from an unexpected source—It was no other than Dante. The love of my life.

Dante, I could see quickly ran to his kids, quickly removing the ropes and tapes and taking them into his harms while kissing them passionately.

"I'm here for you two, don't look back, look towards me." He told them.

Just when everything went blurry.

************
Sorry for the late update as I have been very busy with school🥹

Remember to leave a comment and vote down below❣️