The Aftermath

POV: Brooklyn "You didn't lose it

POV: Brooklyn
"You didn't lose it. Happiness always been there." - you just lost perspective
Summer #3

She asked me what I'm jealous of?

Everything.

Every laugh and smile that wasn't because of me. Every stroke of paint that wasn't inspired by me, and every brush of air that touches her skin. 

The night consisted of endless banter, laugher, and jokes. So different from the eye-twitching, bone-dry dates I had to go on to make it seem like I was looking for a wife. Once a new Don takes over, he usually gets a wife to avoid war, make money, or form alliances. It's a transaction that happens between two men in a dark office. Sometimes with their daughters' fate is sealed way before the legal age.

It disgusts me.

"What's wrong," Brooklyn soft voice carries over the jazz music on the radio. Shit, she so quiet that I almost forgot she was there. Almost. The scent of moister and mango hair oil fills the car so much I had to down the window to stop my semi-hard on from becoming a full on.

Too late.

"Nothing, mia piccola stella," It's a lie, but I don't want to ruin our first night with my stress of work, so I switch topics instead, "Hook up your phone. I'm tired of this music."

There're only seconds before I hear Her by Chase Atlantic blasting the speakers of my car and Brooklyn's ear-bleeding singing. She sings every words with so much passion it makes me hard to keep my eyes on road. I just want to sit there and look at her.

An upcoming call interrupts my thoughts, and it takes everything in me not to punch my fist against the dashboard. I remember strictly telling my men that they don't call me tonight even if the freaking Mona Lisa got stolen. I mutter an apology to Brooklyn and switch the call to my phone.

"What. Is. It.?"

"One of the richest of member of The Cabinet got killed, boss," Ava voices comes out of the phone anxious, and it even puts me on alert. Ava is never anxious. As the only women I work with, she can't afford to look weak in front of men. My hacker doesn't fail.

The Cabinet is an underground organization of the most influential business in the world. It's an umbrella for businessmen who want their enemies to go out nice and quiet. Every year we hold a meeting where billion-dollar deals are made under the table. The event is three days from now and Martin Winchester, the guy who just got killed, was one of my main business partners.

Every time I blink a chip of my empire falls. At first it was the underhand deals, but those got dealt with. Now, its stuff that can't be fixed in a matter of a week. I need to figure out who the hell is behind this murder and why. Martin wasn't a saint, but he wasn't the type to die like this.

"Red, call an emergency meeting and prepare the linguistic for an upcoming mission. We need to catch this culprit," Anger rolls out of me in nice and slow waves when I hang up the phone. The grip I had on the wheel earlier is nothing compared to the way I'm about to tear the leather off it now.

Before I know it, my car arrives in front of Brooklyn's apartment. Without blinking, get out to open her door and lead to her door. She's nervous. I can tell by the way she twists the star ring on her ring in anticipation. Everyone knows how this supposed to go: I stop by her door and give her a goodnight kiss or if the person is bold, they'll invite you up for "coffee" like it isn't midnight.

I want neither. Not yet, at least and we both know that.

So why is it so freakin awkward?

When I go to follow Brooklyn up the stairs, she holds up her hand, stopping me on the first step, "I had a good time, you know, but it's really late." Another twitch. "Goodnight, Val."

With that, she rushes up the stairs like the devil is on her tail. We both know that wasn't what she was going to say, but I'm going to force anything from out her. I have a lot of stuff attend to anyway, yet in my mind I'm still wondering it could be.