Chapter Eleven

Edge sprawled onto her small sleeping bag. It wasn't very comfortable, and was equivalent to sleeping on the floor, but it was something. A sigh escaped her.

She had sat with Wisp and Rustic and read with them before going to bed- Of course they were already asleep, as was everyone else, but she had to finish that chapter. Edge already forgot what the book was about... Romance? Comedy?

It didn't matter. It was late. Despite how uncomfortable this thing was, it was better than sleeping on a cold floor. Edge shut her eyes, and...

~*~

She opened them once again.

Edge pushed herself off her pillows where she had probably collapsed from exhaustion. She shook her head, and rubbed her eyes.

Edge was a year or two younger. She was dressed in dark green overalls, with her over-sized classic shirt. Edge recognized this place, but couldn't place a finger on it.

"Rise and shine!" Her mother strode into the room. She carried a barrel of hay.

'I'm back home,' Edge thought with a sigh. All previous thoughts fleeted from her.

She slipped off her bed. Her little brother, about 9 years old, ran across their room. He wore dark colored pajamas knit by their grandmother, who had died earlier that year.

Ignis, her brother, had no sense of death or harm. It was as if some morals were just... missing from him. A couple of times, he'd shove her down, or whack her with a pitchfork.

Sometimes it went as far as burning her with torches. He wouldn't just do this to her, but to many people. It was "funny" to him.

Edge sighed. It wasn't anything too serious. Their mother always had a way of healing them, or anyone, really.

"Edge!" She hollered.

Edge trotted through their room. It had a couple windows that let in the hazy sunlight. Tall brown ceilings stretched far above; a bird nest hung in the center. The walls were a slightly tinged gray, and the stone floors always seemed cold.

She walked through their hallway. A photograph of her family: Her father, a tall man with small autumn eyes, proper clothes, dark red sleek hair, grayish skin tone, and a wide grin set with a mustache. He was jailed after supposedly killing a man in the mines. Her father was about as good as dead- He was seen as a criminal in all Tribes.

Next to him sat her mother. She had wide, light green doe-like eyes, with freckles scattered across her face. Her hair was a smokey black, but her skin tone took on a dark-red appearance. She was slightly plumper than Edge's father. Quite frankly, she was prettier.

Her mother's hands rested on Edge's shoulders. Edge was a good mix of both of her parents. She'd say that she had more of her mother's humor than her father.

Then, there was Ignis. He was also a good mix of their parents. He had their mother's freckles, their father's grin, their father's hair, and their mother's eyes, body, and skin tone. He looked sweet in this photo. His grin is so wide that his eyes are sealed shut.

Edge's family had gotten rich from her mother's knowledge In medicine. There were whispers that she was half Leaf Tribe. It made sense- After her father was jailed, they turned away from coal-mining and to farming on the richer parts of Flame Tribe.

"Edge! The food is going cold!" Her mother hollered again.

"Coming!"

She rushed over to the table. Her mother set out some warm porridge on the table of all of them. It was empty. Only three people living in a massive home. Edge didn't even have time to explore all of it.