1.11 | PLANES AND PUNCHES

Ch

Ch. 11: Planes and Punches

---

The office hummed with tension as the brothers and Jerry gathered around a cluttered desk with files and other documents strewn across its surface. In the corner, a microscope revealed the telltale residue of sulphur, a confirmation of their previous suspicions: demons were at play.

Dean's voice broke the silence. "All right, that's two plane crashes involving Chuck Lambert. This demon sounds like it was after him."

"With all due respect to Chuck, if that's the case, that would be the good news," Sam muttered.

"What's the bad news?"

"Chuck's plane went down exactly forty minutes into flight. And get this, so did flight 2485, the passenger plane."

A contemplative hum escaped Milo's lips, his mind already weaving the intricate threads of biblical lore and symbolism that had been ingrained in his head at a young age. "Biblical numerology," he mused, his gaze fixed on the powder.

Jerry just blinked at them.

"You know Noah's ark, it rained for forty days. The number means death." Dean explained, and after a moment Jerry nodded although he still didn't seem too sure about any of it.

Sam nodded as well. "I went back, and there have been six plane crashes over the last decade that all went down exactly forty minutes in."

"Any survivors?"

"No. Or not until now, at least. Not until flight 2485, for some reason. On the cockpit voice recorder, remember what the EVP said?" Sam continued.

"No survivors," Dean recalled.

"So it's going after everyone who survived the original plane crash," Milo concluded. He groaned then, his spine slouching now that he thought back to his and Dean's little bet beforehand. "I got the story right but the monster wrong, I feel like I should get half-points for that."

"What? And ask half a question?" Sam snorted.

Dean clapped Milo on the shoulder, a grin playing on his lips. "If you say please maybe I'll let you."

Milo frowned immediately, his hackles rising at the mere thought of begging. He would rather put a bullet in his head sooner than beg Dean for anything ever. "Whatever," he spat moodily, shaking off the hand. "You can take your question and shove it up your—"

"Thanks, Jerry!" Sam cut him off loudly, turning to the man who was watching the exchange between the brothers strangely. "We'll get right on it." Sam all but dragged both of his brothers out of the room and back to the Impala.

Back on the road, the brothers narrowed down the names of the survivors from flight 2485 to make sure none of them would be on a plane in the next forty-eight hours.