PROLOGUE

The Prologue

The Prologue

---

THE NIGHT SKY WAS VIELED with thick grey clouds, the heavy downpour of rain thudding against the closed window of the fire escape. The sudden outbursts of thunder made the usually sunny and bright golden retriever cower in fear, digging himself deeper into the blanket that encompasses his owner. The atmosphere of the dingy apartment was gloomy with the only light present in the apartment being the small sliver between the front door and the hallway just to the side of the couch.

Said owner, Milo Campbell, was fully encompassed in the thick blue blanket. His hand, however, was the only thing peeking out as he moves it to rest on top of the dog's head. Before the thunder had started he was fast asleep, drifting peacefully to the small pitter-patter sound of new rain. But as the night progressed, the rain picked up and the sudden thunder startled the poor dog who made a mad ruckus in an attempt to get under the blanket. All the commotion and dramatics had consequently woken the boy up. And now he lay awake, restless.

"It's okay baby," he coos softly to the dog smushed against his chest. He gently trails his fingers between Rodger's ears and matched his breathing to the dogs' to help even it out. Milo had once read somewhere that when your pet was laying on you, they tended to match their own breathing to yours.

In what felt like forever, the thunder seemed to ease and Milo allowed his eyes to slip shut once again, drifting slowly to the thudding of the rain and letting the warm weight of Rodger help lull him.

A sudden loud thud made the man jump, the dog on his chest jumping with him and trying to clatter away. Rodgers small, but powerful, limbs frazzled around under the blanket trying to escape with no avail thanks to the thickness of the blanket on top, "Relax, Rodger!" Milo shot out, making quick work of tugging the blanket away and freeing the retriever before rolling off the worn couch.

He stays in place and watches for a moment as Rodger scrambles away with his tail tucked between his legs into one of the open doored bedrooms, no doubt making a home out of the random clothes tucked under the bed. The pounding echoes again, "I'm coming! Jesus." he shouts.

The person pounds the door again as if Milo was able to magically teleport to the door the second he voiced that he was coming. And with a frustrated huff, Milo makes his way to the door and lets it open just a crack. The small chain at the top was the only resistance to whoever it was outside.

Milo peered through the gap of the door and through his shaggy dark hair, taking one good look at the man on the other side smiling sheepishly back at him before slamming the door shut once again, undoing the top latch, and swinging it back open.

"You scared Rodger," Milo grumbles, making his way back over to the couch to flop back onto it.

"Well, I would've picked the lock but last time I did that you almost shot me." The man responds easily, a box of files held close to his chest. He kicks the door shut behind him, smiling brightly at the lump on the couch as if he didn't just ruin the peaceful mood before looking around with a sigh. "A little light wouldn't kill you, you know. Maybe Rodger would be less scared if this place didn't resemble a black hole."