Trackstar Antelope Volume 4

Start from the beginning

Spotted Hyenas? Jarijari? Training? The fact I qualified is still going to boggle my mind for ages.

"Uhh... No" I stutter. "I should probably get to class now" I say before I walk towards the gym doors. Sam stays back to talk to Coach Harris for a bit more. I don't know how I'm expected to finish my day at school without wondering what Coach Harris meant on that "hyena comment".

Chapter 23: Haywire Instincts

"Spotted Hyenas are a species of Hyena which have been documented to be more aggressive than the average carnivore. They are known to attack herbivores as well as carnivores, and claim that they cannot help their assaults. Their jaw strength is immeasurable, and their bite is powerful enough to crush bone. If a hyena is "blood-driven" or "meat-shocked" is present, refer to Pg. 215 for advice against aggressive and vicious carnivores. It is advised that young, female and small herbivores try to stay away from Spotted Hyenas, as their scent may send off their..."

Riley squinted at the page. "I don't know what that's supposed to say, it's been scratched out.

"I want to try and find out what it says. I found a few websites that say Spotted Hyenas usually undergo therapy to correct their disorderliness" I say while reading the computer screen. We're at Riley's house, trying to find out more on hyenas.

"That sounds promising" Riley says excitedly

"But... living in the country and all, there isn't much help around for hundreds of kilometres. Anyway, I'm confused on what "blood-driven" and "meat-shocked" mean." I say

"Oh... well... they're terms that are used to describe when carnivores are... stimulated by blood and meat... we learnt about it in an incursion on Carnivore Safety, they described it as a drug. You feel amazing when you do it, but you feel anguish and guilt afterwards. Then you try to swear it off, but the body can't go without it, so the carnivore is left "yo-yoing" through emotions of anxiety, depression and—OH. I'm sorry! I shouldn't have told you that, I forgot that you don't like to hear about that stuff!!" Riley said.

But I wasn't offended or annoyed by Riley's information. It was actually kind of interesting. Being a carnivore must be so hard, knowing that no matter how kind you act to herbivores, some may still be deep down afraid of you. I'll admit, a tiny, ever-so miniscule portion of me is slightly afraid of Riley, but that must be my ancestral instincts talking. If the roles were reversed, and it was a small amount of carnivores in an herbivore-based school, the carnivores would be almost completely shunned as "dangerous and untrustworthy".

"That's fine. I need to learn more about hyenas. It could have something to do with my instinct power, but I'm not sure what I need to know. Do I need to scare myself into being better, or maybe I need to know more about how they run?" I say. I look at the clock, 8:24PM. I'd better get home. I'm still thinking about that race from yesterday. Sam is going to be tough competition for anyone this year.

"I'll see you later, Jamel. I can do a bit more research if you want and maybe ask around at school. Make sure you stay close to the streetlight, because it's dark outside." He cautions me.

"Will do. Thanks for your help, don't stay up too late for it." I reply back.

As I step out onto the footpath from Riley's house, my body is immediately assaulted by a large wave of senses and instincts, as if I was racing. But I see no one around. The street is well lit between my house and Riley's so I should be able to see anyone on the streets.

"He's getting closer, Jamel"

I hastily move off; in case I am being followed. I still feel as if I'm being pushed along, trying to escape the area. If I run, some might look out onto the street and think I'm being chased by something.