Chapter Twelve

An hour later, Grey had changed out of his robes and into more comfortable clothes. He'd opted for a waistcoat and blazer rather than one of Richard's jumpers and Dumbledore has advised against any recognizable options. 

His professor had assured him that Newt Scamander was an extremely trustworthy individual and he needn't worry about being discovered but Grey was anxious all the same. He had never been notoriously good at social interaction. 

When he was ready, he propped open his window and transformed into his animagus form. Prompted by Dumbledore's words a few weeks ago, he glanced at his reflection in his mirror before leaving. There was indeed a white patch of feathers above his beak. It was probably mimicking the white streak in his hair. His raven eyes were also grey just as Dumbledore had said which gave him an almost frightening aura. 

Satisfied by this, Grey took off threw his window. The air was incredibly cold and he puffed out his feathers as he swerved between the towers. With his excellent vision, he spied Dumbledore strolling across the bridge toward the road. Grey dived. The wind was refreshing as he came to flap beside the professor, giving a low croak to announce his presence. 

"Hello, Grey," He beamed. 

Grey ducked and swerved alongside his teacher as they continued toward the village. The snow on the road was practically ice so it was a slow trek. 

As they proceeded, Dumbledore would occasionally watch him with amusement as he got bored and did peculiar twists in the air. When the snow-topped rooves of Hogsmeade became visible ahead, Dumbledore stopped suddenly. Grey landed at his feet, glancing up at him. 

"When we get into the village, I planned to meet Newt at The Three Broomsticks," He explained in a hushed tone, "But with you here that won't be a safe location. However, I can get us a private room at the Hog's Head."

Grey ruffled his feathers, he'd never been to the Hog's Head. 

"Until we get into that room, it won't be wise to change back but they won't just let a random bird into the establishment, so I'll have to pretend you're a pet. Is that ok?"

Grey nodded which must have looked strange from a bird because Dumbledore chuckled. 

"Excellent! Newt will understand, of course, he's a wonderful chap." Dumbledore remarked as he set off again.

Rounding the next corner, Grey saw the beginnings of the little wizard settlement on the road ahead, so he flew down to perch upon Dumbledore's shoulder. He tried to look as naturally birdlike as possible as they entered the village. Thankfully, few people paid them much mind aside from a couple of scattered greetings from passersby. 

Approaching The Three Broomsticks, Grey saw a young wizard standing tensely outside. He was quite tall but with a slumped stature and he was dressed in a dark blue trenchcoat and a neat grey suit. A dented suitcase was grasped in one hand which puzzled Grey. Dumbledore hadn't mentioned he was to stay in the village. 

Newt Scamander nervously brushed some snow out of his sandy hair and glanced around the street. His eyes lit up and a cheerful smile broke across his face as he spotted Dumbledore. 

"Newt, it is wonderful to see you!" Dumbledore exclaimed, clasping his hand. 

"It's good to see you to Dumbledore," Newt responded in a somewhat anxious tone when suddenly his eyes fixated on Grey. 

"That is a very peculiar raven you've got there. Are they magical? I've never seen markings like that. Are they a pet?" He rambled, reaching up to touch Grey who awkwardly shifted away from his hand.