Chapter One

TW - Mention of Self harm 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spattering rain began to fall as the Hogwarts Express pulled out of London. With a book propped open on his lap and Twyla curled up beside him, Grey found himself distracted by the raindrops chasing each other down the window. 

Richard sat across from him, already dressed in his new Slytherin robes. His friend had grown several inches over the summer and it would have almost been cruel if his parents had let him wear his old uniform. Grey, on the other hand, was holding off putting his uniform on as long as possible. It was embarrassing enough that he had to transfigure the skirts into trousers let alone that his cloak was still torn from a scrap last year. No matter how many times he had repaired them, they kept getting ripped - he suspected rats at the orphanage. 

A quiet hour passed in which both boys read their books, oblivious to the usual start-of-term chatter throughout the rest of the train. Finally, after the trolly witch had been through, Grey dogeared his page and stuffed the book back into his trunk. He turned his attention to Richard. 

"How was your summer?"

The Slytherin placed his own book onto the seat beside him and shrugged. 

"Pretty average, went to Cornwall to visit the family, lots of ice cream."

Grey offered him a small smile at his answer.

"Yourself?"

He looked up at Richard surprised at the question. Richard never asked him how his summer holiday went, knowing full well that they were spent either at Hogwarts or the orphanage, both situations he rarely enjoyed. But Grey didn't dwell on the break from routine. Instead, he chose to humour his only friend. 

"It was uneventful, kept my head down."

Now that technically wasn't a lie. Grey had tried especially hard to stay out of trouble that summer but only because he had been undertaking something especially rule-defying in the back room of the orphanage's attic. How he'd ever gotten away with it still puzzled him. But he was grateful. Grey had spent his summer completing the steps to become an animagus and it had worked! He found himself genuinely excited to return to Hogwarts and use his new ability. It would save him from having to sneak unsuccessfully around the castle whenever he couldn't sleep and wanted to see the stars. Now he could fly beneath them. 

"Do you still get the headaches?"

Grey's attention was pulled back to his friend. He simply nodded in response. Since the end of the previous term, he had been suffering from sudden migraines and they had indeed continued through the summer. 

"If they persist, you should really see Nurse Sullivan. I'm sure he could whip you up a cure in no time."

Despite the calmness of Richard's voice, Grey knew there was genuine concern behind his words. He watched as his friend picked at the dry skin around his fingers. 

"Good idea," Grey echoed, "Next time I get one I'll go see him."

Richard nodded, turning his attention out the window. He no longer picked his fingers. Grey smiled to himself and gently pulled Twyla onto his lap. 

Hours passed in comfortable silence as the sky darkened outside the train. The rain was falling in droning sheets upon the window when Richard excused himself so Grey could change. As Grey pulled down the blinds he saw his friend position himself with his back to the outside of the door so nobody came in or tried to peak. It was embarrassing that everybody knew the truth but he was glad the Slytherin boy was so unjudging.