Fourteen: Return To Spring

Lucien clicked his tongue, bringing his horse into a faster walk until he fell into place beside Tamlin

Lucien clicked his tongue, bringing his horse into a faster walk until he fell into place beside Tamlin. Another day, and yet another border patrol. It would seem, over the days since Feyre had returned, the only thing he and Tamlin had been doing was heading out on border patrols. There had been reports of creatures lurking on the border between Spring and Summer, but they were yet to find anything. Tamlin had been certain that these creatures were Night Court spies. The days were long, and the rewards were few and far between. By the time they returned to the manor, they would no doubt be too tired to spend any time with Feyre besides a silent dinner. Not that it was Luicen who needed to spend time with her - that should have been Tamlin.

But instead, Tamlin had taken to following on this wild goose chase. Rumours had floated into the village nearest the manor from the outlying hamlets, and Tamlin had followed them blindly; such was his newfound paranoia.

"Tam," Lucien said, and the High Lord's head snapped toward him. "About what happened in the study the other day."

Tamlin's entire body stiffened in his saddle. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Perhaps you don't," Lucien said carefully. "But I do."

Tamlin cocked his head, his emerald eyes flashing with challenge, the muscle in his jaw ticking. "What exactly would you have to say about it?"

Lucien cleared his throat, sparing a glance over his shoulder to where Silas and Wren rode in silence behind them; there would be no help from them, he could see that. "I know that you're aware you made a mistake," he said slowly, calculating each and every word that he said, "but Tam, you can't keep letting your anger win."

"What would make you say that I am?" Tamlin asked, clenching his jaw.

"You destroyed the entire study, you almost hurt Feyre," Lucien pointed out. "You are letting your anger win, letting your fear make your decisions for you. Do you not think that Feyre deserves better than that? Do you not think that you deserve better than that?"

"You forget your place, Lucien," Tamlin growled. Lucien pulled on his reins, bringing his steed to a halt.

"I don't care if I'm speaking out of turn," he snapped. "You need help Tamlin, and I can help you. I want to help you, as my friend. But..."

"But?" Tamlin asked when Lucien's words trailed off. Lucien breathed out a sigh through his nose, catching Tamlin's emerald eyes.

"But if you ever hurt Feyre - if she is ever put in danger because of your anger again - then I won't help you," he said as confidently as he could. "Be mindful of what you're doing, my friend, because at the end of the day, it is you who will pay the price."

"Was that a threat?" Tamlin asked, clenching at his reins.

"No," Lucien replied nonchalantly. "It was a reminder."