Chapter 1 - You Looked Alone

Her walk home wasn't a big deal, but she was so scared tonight. The moon was a sliver. The street wasn't illuminated. She swore she could hear whispers in every corner of the night. Buildings passed. The cold air bit her under her heavy sweatshirt. She pulled it closer to her, looking down at the sidewalk. The rain came down mercilessly, and she was anxious to get home. Her feet were soaked, and her sweatshirt wasn't too far from being the same way.

The streetlight on the corner, the only one for a few streets, taunted her with familiar flickers.
She turned, passing a lonely man with only a light jacket on. He was smoking like a chimney, smiling to the ground. He didn't look at her, and she didn't look at him.
Not a lot, at least.

After a few more steps, she landed right in front of her house. From an outsider, it might've looked choreographed, the way she turned on her toes and marched to the front door.

Behind the door, her aunt was on a loud phone call with her father. He was desperately trying to get his hands on her once again. Probably the same 'take me to court, Jaime, I'll beat you.' And 'I'm a better person, believe me.'

Jaime was tough, and had won every time.
Jaime was from New Jersey, and don't you ever forget it. She was rigid. However, her niece would describe her as a crackling fire, warm and comforting.

She waved hello to Aunt Jaime, who was
in the kitchen. She leaned against the dinner table, and slapped on a smile. Her eyes crinkled at the sight.

She unlaced her sneakers, shedding off the sweatshirt and running upstairs to get undressed and put on dry clothing.

She climbed into her safe place, snuggling into the pillows. Her fairy lights illuminated the bedroom with a soft glow. She glanced at the walls, covered in shelves and decorated with canvases and nicknacks.

She pulled out her phone, smiling as she typed a message to Nikola.

'come over?'

• • • •

Nikola looked at the phone. Her screen was the only light in her room of the townhouse. She rolled out of bed to grab the phone off the floor. Her face lit up with the phone light, but also with a dazzling smile.

She went downstairs, greeted by the snake herself sitting on the couch. She held a silent glare, seeming to hiss with just her eyes.

Nikola sighs.
She walks past her, harshly ripping open the front door of the townhouse. Her eyes were stabbing her back, ripping into her flesh. She hurried, slamming the door to be embraced by the crisp air of November.

She began the short walk down the street, to the house she's been to so many times.
It's almost automatic by now.

• • • •

Aunt Jaime was the one who answered the door. Nikola was greeted with an enthusiastic hello and basically pushed inside. Her face broke out into a big grin. It was good to be home.

The fire crackled in the corner of the living room as she walked by, leaded to the kitchen by Aunt Jaime. Her cheeks and nose had turned a bright red from the cold. She laughed when Aunt Jaime fussed about how she 'shouldn't be out this late and definitely not in this cold.'

Nikola welcomed it warmly, preferring it over Kirsten's cold stares any day.
But who wouldn't?

Jaime politely asked if Nikola was hungry. She replied with a smile and a 'no thanks.'

She nods at her, smiling back. Nikola informed her that she was invited over, and Aunt Jaime told her that she already knew. She let Nikola sneak off to join her friend in her bedroom. Nikola breathed in the caramel scent that always lingered. It was her favorite smell, no doubt.

"Hey! Whats up?" She started the conversation, and Nikolas face lit up. She jumped onto the bed, into her friends arms.
"I've missed you." She mutters, snuggling up to the warm body under the covers.

"You didn't answer my question."

She looked at her with an "angry" face on, fooling no one.

"I mean, nothing really. Still having to deal with Kirsten."
"She's not gone yet?"
"Of course not."

The playful tone and light atmosphere was dropped when Nikola started to stare at the floorboards with a guilty expression.

"Don't blame yourself."
"Who should I blame?"
"Not yourself."
"Not helpful."

Nikola let out a disbelieving chuckle, full of air and not much of a laugh. She sat up, abandoning the warm arms.

She became stiff, which was noticed.
"Are you- are you okay?"

"No. I don't think I am."

Nikola was starting to cry, her eyes welling up with tears. She sniffled.
"I'm sorry- I didn't want to cry right now."
"It's okay. You're okay."
"I hope I will be."

She was pulled back down from her rigid stance at the edge of the bed. She welcomed the arms that encased her in warmth and comfort. Nikola smiled as tears ran down her cheeks.
She was loved.

And for her, it was enough. It would always be enough in that bed in a townhouse attic.