When I See the Sun, Something in the Orange Tells Me We're Not Done

Hogwarts did not feel the same. The same sun set and rose on its stone walls, but every day felt further from the Hogwarts Sebastian had come to know. He wasn't sure if it was the knowledge that he would not catch fleeting glimpses of Ella around the halls or how much more minuscule it seemed in comparison to the rest of his life. It hadn't felt that way since the end of fifth year. Since he'd spent weeks jumping at every friendly shout of his name and mention of Aurors. Back then, schooling had felt so small in comparison to the reality that he might be locked away in Azkaban at any moment.

That morning, he woke to the realization that the morning felt hollow. The sunrise didn't cascade pink and gold across the windows of the castles. The world was painted in grey. The castle corridors felt empty when he stood in them, despite the large number of students that drifted through and the grim look on their faces.

He was well aware that the speech in the Great Hall would be far from the truth, but it didn't stop the sinking feeling in his chest.

The unease swallowed the ache of her absence for the time being.

Ominis sat across from him at Slytherin's table; the same place and way they'd always sat. His brows pressed together—the telltale sign that he was both stressed and anxious. If that wasn't enough, the blond tapped on the table to quell his nerves. Sebastian didn't see the fuss. Not in actuality. Ella was safe, at home and under every ward he could have on that house. This was far from the biggest lie they'd told.

He would continue telling himself that, anyway.

Someone bumped against his shoulder as they settled into the seat beside him. Sebastian glared out of the corner of his eye; it was not the prime moment to jostle him around. His glare was met with wide gray eyes. Already shimmering, and Black hadn't even made the announcement.

"Malfoy?"

"I can't sit with them right now." Emrys was still not one for greetings, it seemed. Sebastian glanced down the table to where Emrys and his friends usually sat. He'd only noticed them one year due to his constantly scanning for Ella. Emrys's friends were still there, joking and carrying on like his sister's funeral arrangements weren't about to be announced. It had been rumored since the day they stepped back into school, without Ella, so it shouldn't have come as a shock to them.

Emry's expression betrayed him—it was obvious he hadn't meant for the panic to seep into his features, but it had.

Sebastian almost laughed. At least, he wished he did. Emrys could deny it all he wanted, but the boy apparently thought they had some sort of rapport. He would have sat in the open seat next to Ominis if he didn't. Sebastian couldn't say they didn't; that was technically his brother for all intents and purposes now just as much as Ominis was.

As much as he still wanted to hate him for all of his questionable decisions.

"There's nothing to fret over," Ominis offered under his breath. Even the blind could sense the uneasiness of the white-haired boy, it seemed. Though, Ominis was generally highly receptive to others' emotional states. It was a strong suit of his, after all.

Sebastian cleared his throat and glanced down the table quickly. No one was listening, no one paying a scrap of attention. "Why don't you stop by Anne's tonight?"

"That'll be obvi—"

"It's normal to stop by a friend's house after a funeral. It's grieving." Sebastian dropped his voice. It was really the last place that needed to be addressed.

"Sebastian's right. You should stop by for a drink."

Sebastian laughed under his breath. The age of alcohol consumption hardly fell under Ominis's moral radar. Emrys shifted beside him, jiggling his leg under the table. It nearly shook the entire portion they sat at.