Chapter 61

I make no attempt to be quiet.

I storm through the halls of the house, fastening my gloves at my wrists. It must be an hour before dawn, maybe two. Still pitch black. When the inevitable doors open, and the staff come pouring out, I barely blink. Some of them wear uniform, some dressing gowns and bonnets.

"Good morning, Lucille," I tell my life-long friend. "Prepare some tea for this afternoon, please. With the battenburg cake and sandwiches."

She looks at me in wonderment. "Like I used to?" She asks.

"Yes. Just like that." I smile.

"Miss Astor," says the doctor, the one I have frequent sessions with. She smiles kindly, but her eyes are wary. "This is an early start to the day."

I draw myself up straight. "I wish to see my husband."

She nods slowly. "Mr Shelby is a busy man. We're implementing new visitation hours, to help with a routine. If you like—"

"I don't think you heard me." I step in closer, the heels of my boots tapping on the marble floor. "I wish to see my husband."

"Perhaps a walk with the dogs?" She continues. "I can arrange somebody to accompany you."

"Do I not have the right to see my husband when I please?" I ask. "To make that decision myself?"

Her eyes soften. "You are unwell."

"I am not."

"Miss Astor—"

"My name is Mrs Shelby. I'm going to assume you are familiar with the Shelby family by now, as they've employed you for this long. And you'll be aware of the consequences, should you displease them. Should you displease me." I take a breath. "I'm aware this situation is... fragile. Which is why I shall not take a car from the estate to Birmingham. I am willing to be reasonable. But I wish to see my husband, and I wish to see him right now. Along with my four new dogs. Make the phone call, please. And then leave. Take the day off. Mr Shelby will be responsible for me, I'm sure he will not decline."

I sit on the visitor's sofa, the blue velvet firm beneath me. Somebody lets a yapping Rudy and Mopsie free from the floor above, and they come barrelling down the stairs to my side. I wait, looking expectantly at the doctor. My hands placed neatly in my lap. My spine straight — as so many years of riding horses has taught me.

"Sedate me if you wish," I say. "Goodness knows I've endured it enough to last a lifetime."

She looks mildly horrified. "I would never—"

"Good. Then we are on the same page." I smile sweetly. "My husband. Now."

***

An hour later, with the sky lightening by the second, the sound of car tires comes to a stop outside the front door. I pause my pacing, glancing up, barely able to believe it. My heart thuds an erratic rhythm in my chest. My stomach writhes with butterflies, anticipation.

Unable to contain myself any longer, I burst through the doors, running down the steps to where Arthur is getting out of the car.

He looks at me with hope. With trepidation.

"Astor," he breathes, his voice low and gravelly and thick with his accent.

I pause at the base of the steps, clutching the railing. My hair falls in soft curls, thick strands swung over my shoulder. My face is pale, almost paler than the light cream jumper I'm wearing.

"Brave soldier," I whisper.

I run to him, and he takes me in his arms, lifting me in the air as he kisses me. His eyes search my own, like he can hardly believe it.