Chapter 40

"We have to break in to the lawyer's office."

I say the words as I step into my shoes, standing at the large window in my bedroom and glancing out across the grounds. I try not to pull a face of disgust as my feet are squashed, my heels raised. It is not that I do not like the shoes — they are beautiful. As is the dress I wear. As are all the dresses and pretty shoes and makeup that women wear. I do not typically forego them because I wish to stand out. I prefer breeches and muddy boots because when I am in them, I know I will feel at peace.

When I am dressed like a doll, it brings back the looming dread of being forced to do things by my parents.

Arthur fastens his tie at his neck in front of the mirror. "Eh?" He asks, tongue between his teeth as he concentrates.

I walk across to him, and though I do not know how to tie it for him, I do know how to fold down the collar. How to fasten the cuff links at his wrists. I never tire of touching him.

"Luca's solicitor. He's sending me documents by the dozen about the division of property, and none of it can be legal. I bet he'll have proof locked away in his office somewhere. Proof of Luca's other illegal dealings. Business ones, I bet."

Arthur rests a finger beneath my chin and tilts my head back as he kisses me. "Give me a name and I'll track him down with a steel pipe," he tells me.

"We are not to hurt him," I gently remind Arthur. "Only to steal."

He wraps his arms around my waist, steps in closer. "His name."

"Arthur Shelby, I will need assurances first," I breathe as we kiss.

"Not my fault if he has an unfortunate accident," Arthur murmurs.

"Brave soldier, I thought we had agreed you are not to kill without my authority."

"Who said anything about kill?" He asks, as he lifts me and sets me on the table, standing between my thighs and pressing against me. "I'd like him to suffer a few days first."

"You're going to make me ruin my dress."

"I'd quite like to see that," he murmurs against my lips.

I wrap my legs around him, already deciding I'll simply have to find another dress stashed in the back of my wardrobe from some year prior.

But then there's a knock at the door. "Oi, lovebirds," John says. "Time to go."

I laugh softly as Arthur presses his forehead to mine. "His name's on the documents," I say, kissing him once more before we untangle ourselves. "I believe his address, too. We'll go under the cover of night."

"I will," he corrects me.

"I'm coming. It was my idea." I cross the room and open the door, to see John leaning against the wall on the other side of the hallway, whistling and tossing an apple in the air and catching it again.

"I won't risk you being seen," Arthur says.

"But we could do it together," I try to plead with him as we take the stairs. John follows behind. "Like the fight in the pub."

"Jesus fucking Christ," Arthur mutters, shaking his head as he links his fingers through mine. "I'm the bad influence, eh?"

"Of all the girls I'd have picked to actually enjoy the life," John comments with a grin.

"I don't enjoy the life," I say, slightly shocked.

Neither of them will look me in the eye as we reach the front door and head out to the car. Both appear to be trying very hard not to laugh.