Letter #5

June 1915

Arthur,

I have been hearing all about the fighting at Gallipoli, and then I received your letter that you were going over there. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. I want you to know that you're not alone. I'm here for you, even if it's just through our letters. Please don't hesitate to write to me if you ever want to talk or just vent about what you are going through.

They've been saying dysentery and sanitation are causing problems among the soldiers, and so I have put together a few packages for you and the other men you are fighting alongside. I've included bandages socks and handkerchiefs, razors and soap, toothpaste shampoo and towels. I've also added a few books I thought you might enjoy, and of course, teabags and biscuits.

I love the sound of your whiskey, cigars, and pork chops. You'll have to tell me which whiskey is your favourite and which cigars you smoke, and I shall send you some of those as well. I shall go to the butcher in Small Heath when I am able and get some pork chops and I'll describe to you what I think.

As for your brother Tommy, you can tell him there is nothing wrong with Arion's confirmation, thank you very much. I had a dear friend May Carleton approve, and she knows horses better than anyone. She's just turned twenty and already married — her husband is fighting in the war, too. I suppose they all are.

You must tell me more about this horse racing business of yours. I've always longed to attend, but my family say racing's for crooks and criminals — privately, I think they just don't know enough about the sport and are too embarrassed to admit it. Such a business would be a fine idea actually, we own eight horses ourselves and it would help if they could earn their keep, but I would just feel so guilty for the training regimens and how hard they are pushed. I think we shall stick to our leisurely treks through the woodlands.

I am trying to start a farm. Do not laugh. I have never farmed before and have no idea what I am doing, but I'm in the process of finding a couple of managers and hands who do, and who can help to guide me. We have the land for it and it's not being used elsewhere, and I simply feel I must do something with my life to earn my keep. Lucille always tells me the devil finds work for idle hands, and though you and I have established by now I am not a god-fearing women, I do believe a penchant for mischief may develop if I am not otherwise directed.

Does your sister or aunt have much experience with farming? I'd hate to bore them with it if not, and I can imagine they must be very busy managing your horse racing while you are all gone. And tell John I enjoyed the three drawings, and I have sent a few extra rolls of postage stamps so he can stop stealing yours.

Horses in the city — even with the occasional patch of land as you described, the concept still seems foreign to me. Though I think that might be just city life in general. Our nearest general store takes ten minutes to reach by car and over double that on horseback, and we have no neighbours for miles.

It's very quiet here. Even quieter now my sisters have left — you'd think we'd be well behaved, being ladies, but I'm sure we fought just as often and fiercely as you and your brothers. They have both married and left for New York now, and they have both turned into terrible snobs ever since. They each send a card at Christmas, and it is never addressed to anybody in particular, only to 'Sotheby Estate'. Lucille loudly proclaimed they now have sticks shoved far up an unmentionable part of their anatomy, and Pauline 'accidentally' nudged their cards off the mantelpiece and into the kitchen fire.

I rather like your idea of a wrestling match to end this war. And I am appalled you believe me to be holding things back about myself. Arthur Shelby, I am a woman of great integrity. And to prove it, I shall answer your questions.

I rarely drink at bars, but if I do, I'll take something simple like a cognac or a gin and vermouth. I daren't drink at the town pub, not with the temperance movement growing greater each day and the judgement that comes with it. Have you heard in America they are actually considering making alcohol illegal? You'd think they'd be focusing on assisting with our war efforts rather than worrying themselves with such matters.

My favourite time of day or night has to be dawn. I suppose it is part day and part night. I enjoy rising early and seeing light at my window.

I was perfectly behaved during my school years, thank you very much. I never wore the dunce hat, and I was only caned the once, because I ran out of school grounds to save a bird that had been injured and was laying on the pavement beyond the gate. I'm pleased to say the bird made a full recovery, which is a rare occurrence, so I believe the caning was worth it. If I have to hazard I guess, I'd say you were a dunce cap child, you prefer nighttime to day, and whiskey is your favourite spirit. Do tell me if I got them right or wrong.

For the next part of the game, I want to know your favourite cologne, favourite meal, and I implore you to tell me more about your parents. You haven't mentioned them so far, and it makes me wonder if they might be half as unbearable as my own.

I cannot repeat what Pauline said, I am far too embarrassed. But I will tell you that it involved a peculiar sensation, not at all unpleasant, the last time she lay with a man. I'm sure you can surmise the rest for yourself, and if you're really struggling, I daresay John will be able to draw you a picture.

Your letters are the best part of my day too. Perhaps when the war is over and you are home we will be able to write each other daily after all, with no pesky English Channel delaying the letters' arrival.

I shall tell the dogs they are assisting with the war effort, and I'm sure they'll be most pleased. Arion is still giving me grief, but don't tell Tommy that, or I'm sure he'll have much to say on that matter also.

You're a true hero, Arthur, in every sense of the word, and I am so proud of you. I remember to pray each night now, so I might pray for your safety while you are fighting. Take care of yourself.

Yours sincerely,

Astor. (Not a brave soldier. Also loves biscuits.)