Chapter 10

Shikamaru had been to the missions office and then the hospital. Yet he hadn't found who and what he wanted.

The day was becoming disappointing.

He was strolling on his way to find Sakura, who he was sure would have some answers for him. He lit a cigarette and walked through the shopping district.

The amount of effort he would go through for Naruto was amazing. He had so much faith and love for the girl that he would rather spend his day looking for answers than looking at clouds. The man sighed. Maybe he could do both. He looked up at the sky, and just as he did that, he heard his name.

"Shikamaru-kun, I heard smoking is bad for you." It was Hinata and Kiba they were obviously on date when they ran into him, and being polite, they had to say hi.

"Isn't Kiba bad for you, Hinata?" His remark was snarky, but he did it to entice the other man who promptly raised his fist and said, "I resent that." Not being threatening at all.

Shikamaru gave a smirk.

"Hey, you guys didn't happen to see Sasuke around today?" Shikamaru changed the topic he still had his private mission to handle.

"Not at all." Hinata answered the blush she sported now gone from her face, "I was on guard duty last I saw him, he was leaving the village at the time."

"Did anything seem weird to you?" He asked, dropping his cigarette butt on the ground and stomping on it.

"Well, he was normal. Distant. Maybe he was going on a mission." She suggested.

"Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but I've been to the missions office, and the Uchiha hadn't been issued a mission. " While he spoke, his demeanor had become thoughtful. The pieces were coming together.

"Do you think?" Hinata couldn't finish her sentence. She remembered the tears in Naruto's eyes that day at the wedding, and she remembered trying to console the newly found girl.

"Yes, and I think Naruto has forgotten all about him. I asked where he was, but she claimed not to know him at all. She thought he was one of the fresh genin.  She also said the father of her child was someone else." He wasn't one to gab like a hen, but things were getting curiouser and curiouser.

"Well, who says Sasuke is the father anyway. It could just so happen rhay Naruto was ly-" Kiba couldn't finish his sentence as a delicate slap found its way to the back of his head.

"Kiba-kun, Naruto-chan wouldn't lie about something like that. Sasuke-kun and Narumi were dating for a long time, and the math works out." She berated. Hinata had gotten really scary after she found her voice.

"I'm just saying anything is possible. She is the number one most unpredictable ninja, after all. Look, she hit the village with another surprise this morning!" He exclaimed, defending himself, but another audible slap was planted on his head.

"Shikamaru, please let us know if Naruto is okay. We'd be happy to help if she's going through something." Hinata was her sweet self as always, and the fact that she was so accepting of Narutos' new form wasn't surprising at all since this meant they could finally hang out together much more.

"Actually, Hinata, could you come with me? I'm on my way to Sakura's place."

Kiba looked sad all of a sudden. He knew Hinata would do anything for Naruto, but he didn't feel jealous because at least Naruto couldn't take their relationship away. It was one day and one date. Compared to what a male Naruto could've done, he was happy to make the sacrifice.

Hinata kissed Kiba on the cheek, promising to visit later and left with Shikamaru to Sakura's apartment.

___________________________________________