Chapter 5

"Congratulations, Sasuke! You've proved yourself to me and the village! Once again, you're a proud konoha shinobi."
Naruto really showed his friend a genuine smile.

Things were on the right track, and Naruto was in control of everything. Sasuke grunted a response, happy to see the blonde smile at something he had finally done right.

"I'm nominating you as Jounin and approving it as well. So welcome to the forces of Konohagakure no Sato."

With this statement, Sasuke visibly smirked. Naruto released a haughty laugh.

Shikamaru muttered a troublesome from the side of the room.

"Hokage-sama, you've finished your duties. Don't forget the rest of us are meeting at the Rose Room in order to congratulate Choji and Ino on their engagement." He said monotonously.
He was happy Sasuke was back in the village but skeptical, but it made Naruto so happy that he couldn't ignore the facts.

"Hai, Hai. Please stop calling me that, Shika. We've been friends for years." Said Naruto.

"Yeah, but it's -" the blonde cut him off right there.

"The honorific. Yes, I know. Sasuke, join us. I'm sure the guys would love to see you." Okay, maybe Naruto wanted to spend too much time with the returned avenger.

Sasuke's stomach churned. It had been over a month since he returned, and tonight was a chance to hang out with Naruto.

He said goodbye and left the Fire Tower to get ready for the evening.

After Sasuke left, Shikamaru stood in front of Naruto, who had gotten back to his paperwork.

"Naruto, I know he is your friend, but there needs to be some restraint when it comes to Sasuke." Shikamaru was just worried about the village when he said this. He didn't want Naruto to give the ravenette too much power. Jounins had too much liberty.

"Look, I know Sasuke is a bit rough around the edges, but he's loyal. He's our friend Shikamaru, I won't be giving him missions away from the village for now. Everyone's happy." Naruto had a plan. There would be no diplomatic missions. Just spying and cleanups. 

Shikamaru nodded, trusting the blondes judgment. He only didn't want the blonde getting too attached. The village would not function if the Hokage was running around looking for a rogue ninja.

Naruto smiled, swiveling around in his chair to look across the village.

"Sasuke isn't going anywhere." He spoke softly.

___________________________________________

Flashback

Sasuke sat across from an empty seat at Ichigo dining in the market district. It was a quaint restaurant. The walls were lined with crimson red wallpaper and brass sconces. The rest of the furniture was oak wood and smooth jazz played throughout the establishment.

He nursed the vodka soda in front of him. Narumi said she would meet him here after he passed his Chuunin exam. The exam was an absolute slaughter house.

He didn't go as far as to kill anyone. They were all young and inexperienced. He just beat them to a pulp so they would grow up to be stronger.

He didn't see her in the stands, but he hoped she was aware of how strong he was. He wanted to flex.

He looked up, sensing the familiar chakra of the person he was waiting on. 

She dressed in a black chinese collar silk shirt. Her skirt hugged her broad hips, a slit running up from her calf to her mid thigh. She wore black heels about an inch high, and her hair was tied into a bun with bangs framing her heart-shaped face.