Chapter 18 - The Decision

Začít od začátku

"I'm helping him. But it doesn't matter... Why are you here? I mean, why have you been locked up here?" Cinder corrected herself with a gesture of her arm to the custom room. She didn't want to reveal that she was Bowser's personal seduction advisor... She wanted to preserve the King's image. Other questions burned in her mind, such as whether the proposal had been made or whether he had declared his love for her, but she held herself back as the princess looked up at the ceiling.

"Because this crazy fool thinks that kidnapping me and imprisoning me in his castle will make me change my mind about his proposal. He's convinced I have any interest in him!" Peach giggled as if it were obvious. With a nonchalant shrug, the lady in the pink dress went to the window to look outside with an impatient look.

"Oh no..." Groaned Cinder, massaging her forehead. He had learned absolutely nothing from all her lessons! Even if it was a total failure, at least she had gotten her answer.

"But if he thinks I'm going to let this happen, then he's kidding himself! I have a plan. Come with me!" Peach declared after taking a quick glance in the direction of the wall clock. Not giving Cinder time to say anything, she grabbed her hand and dragged her out into the hallway.

Upstairs at the same time, Kamek walked away from the platform where the party was taking place and into the throne room. He looked up at the imposing figure standing next to the seat with his back to him and facing the lava wall. The spiny turtle didn't turn around at the sound of footsteps when he heard someone's silent approach because he simply didn't feel like talking. He wanted to be alone. Looking down, King Koopa stood still, hoping that whoever had come to disturb him would leave him to his thoughts. The Magikoopa stopped a few feet away from his dejected-looking monarch, playing with his hands as he searched for words. He had noticed something was wrong because Bowser usually had a lot of fun at this kind of party, especially since it was a celebration for his upcoming marriage with Peach. Coughing into his fist, the wizard cautiously spoke up.

"Sir?" He called, however he had no reaction.

"The party missed you. Everyone's having fun out there! Don't you want to celebrate this victory with us?" He tried to motivate him, but the big turtle showed no more enthusiasm.

"I'll be there in a minute." He simply replied, abandoning his aggressive tone of voice for something more melancholic. He just wasn't in the mood to celebrate anything.

"We finally have the princess in our possession! And with what you've learned, she's bound to fall under your irresistible spell! Isn't that wonderful?" Kamek smiled with excitement except that once again, his Master showed no positive emotion.

"What's the point! It's all doomed to failure anyway..." He sighed, his shoulders dropping. To tell the truth he wasn't even thinking about Peach, his mind was occupied elsewhere and Kamek seemed to notice it because what he said afterwards surprised him enormously.

"You're still thinking about Cinder, aren't you?" It wasn't even a question but a statement. At the mere mention of her first name, Bowser tensed. He had his answer. Straightening his opaque glasses on his muzzle, the Magikoopa thoughtfully crossed his arms behind his back before continuing in a tone that suggested no bitterness.

"In life, sometimes you have to make choices. I recognize that I've made mistakes in the past... And that you can't have everything unfortunately." Kamek admitted with a small, dejected sigh. It was hard to admit it, but he couldn't bear to see his King so unhappy. So depressed... Which had finally pushed him to tell him all these things despite his reluctance. Because it was for his own good! He glanced at Bowser who remained motionless and then at his lack of response, he continued on his way.

"I may be old, but I'm not blind. You seem happier, more fulfilled since that girl came into our lives. You're different ... You've changed. At first, I thought she was a danger to us and to you, but I was sorely mistaken. She has brought us something more. Especially to you, your Highness. Something that makes us better in some way. I refused to see it because our only goal was to take the crown and rule the Mushroom Kingdom! To assert our authority and preserve our species. We had dreamed of this for so long..." Dreamed Kamek as he paused to look at Bowser who still hadn't moved. Normally, he would have already jumped on him, making all sorts of threats for daring to tell him all this! This only confirmed his suspicions. So he resumed with sincerity.