Chapter Thirty: New Beginnings, Old Memories

Start from the beginning

Victoria was too beat up—mentally and physically to click any pictures.

Later.

She told herself.

A little rest, a bath, dinner, and, perhaps, a beer or a vodka could be the things that could kick start the procedure of reviving her from today.

Kofy City in Yamanashi Prefecture, her destination and home for the upcoming months, was about three and a half hours away from Narita by car. In the middle of Pedro's lectures about how the Vietnamese and Philippines people are the majority of the immigrants in the country and they're increasing more and more, Victoria nodded off. And missing everything spectacular on her way, she woke up finally as the car stopped.

Rubbing her eyes, she looked around herself, distraught.

No bed and no dent on that bed next to her with an addicting masculine scent was the first thing that registered in her mind.

As Pedro looked back at her over his seat and said, "Ah, you're awake! We've reached," she straightened, sighing.

"Thank you, Pedro, it's a great favor," she said, genuinely grateful. 

Pedro laughed. "Rollan is paying me, Kawai girl. It's no favor. However, I'm pretty glad to meet you. Let me know if you need anything or want to know anything. Some stuff, rules, and manners are pretty different than the rest of the world in this country."

The sun had set some time ago. Darkness had crept into and conquered the surrounding now. So, there was not much Victoria could see, except for realizing that this side of the city had a lot of fields of fruits. Not that she had not researched about it already. Mount Fuji was also supposed to be in visual distance from here, although she would have to wait for the next morning to discover these all with her own eyes, other senses, and camera.

The parking was at the side of the two-story building. The entrance, more specifically, the stairs to the balcony corridor leading up to her apartment, was at the absolute opposite of the parking. 

Thanks to Pedro again, who took her luggage upstairs to her apartment. 

The weather was calm now. Nevertheless, the street bore the mark of the earlier rain and storm by how it was still wet.

Victoria rubbed her arms, standing at her door as Pedro left in his car after giving her an informative tour of her new home, all the technology that was assisted by too many buttons within it, and then handing her the door keys.

Closing her door she turned around to look at her new abode. A tiny but convenient paradise.

The kitchen, fridge, oven, door to the bathroom, and washing machine were on one side across the corridor right after the main entrance. There was just one room at the end. It was a fully furnished apartment except for a mattress, which Pedro had already bought and placed on the bed in advance. 

Rollan chose the absolute best person to welcome her. Victoria didn't know who to thank more. 

As she walked into the bedroom, the slim but long (almost reaching the floor) mirror caught her eye. She looked at her reflection—tired, dehydrated, dry skin, messy hair updo, wrinkled clothes. She looked like a drained-out lemon.

The wardrobe was attached to the wall. Sliding it open and staring at the emptiness inside, she got out of her clothes one by one, almost robotically, until she was standing completely nude.

She didn't have the energy to open her luggage now, and not that anyone would watch her. In a careless, shameless manner, scratching her waist, she walked up the two wooden triangular steps leading up to her semi-double bed and collapsed into the mattress face first.