Chapter 51: Haunted Mansion

Start from the beginning

She nodded, sweat dripping down her face as she seemed pretty worried, "I know him quite well. His bounty used to surpass even yours, Luffy."

"Used to?"

"Gecko Moria is one of the seven warlords of the sea."

The familiar title rang a bell in my head as I remembered Crocodile and Mihawk. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of man this Moria was and if he was as smart and clever as the other two were.

"Are you sure, Robin?!"

"Yes," Robin confirmed Luffy's questions as she recalled the encounters she's had with the man or the stories she's heard, "Gecko Moria is a man shrouded in mystery."

"But what is a man like that doing at an island like this?" Franky seemed less concerned and more confused as to the powerful man's presence.

The old man looked back at the dirty ground, trying to search for a reason, but came up empty handed, "I don't know," He shook his head with a hopeless frown, "But there have been a lot of victims left to wander this forest after he stole their shadows." The old man looked at all of us with a weary look, "You should be wise to remember that Moria has his eye on you since he's already invited you."

"Invited us?"

I answered Zoro's question as I crossed my arms, a habit I've picked up after seeing Zoro do it so many times, "Must've been the barrel..."

Before we know it, the old man starts to cry as tears slowly drop from his eyes. You could tell he's been miserable for months, maybe even years and it seemed to make my heart sting, "Those who stayed must creep around the forest in fear of zombies and those who left must hide from the light in fear of dying. Either way, it hardly feels like we're even alive anymore."

The lantern he was holding rolls towards us as he is placed his hands down on the ground in front of him. As he begs us to help him walk under the sun again the lantern illuminates the area close to us, emphasizing our shadows and the lack of his.

Franky, touched by the story and the heartfelt speech, starts crying in empathy as he comments on how the story was tragic. Sanji doesn't share the same sentiment though as he points at the old man telling him only ladies crying makes his heart throb not dirty old men, translating to: I'm not as emotional as Franky so you're story won't make me cry!

"I was searching for the shadow thief anyway," Luffy's words that he spoke so nonchalantly made a smile creep onto my face. He stood up as he smiled reassuringly at the old man, "If he's after us we're gonna have to kick his butt so wouldn't we wind up helping you anyway?"

The man was ecstatic to hear that he will finally be getting help and that there might be a chance to get his shadow back. Other voices from around us seemed to join into the conversation, surprising a few of us.

"Thank you, Mister!"

"Kick stinky Morias butt!"

"Huh?" Sanji looked around to see figures in the bushes and trees popping out, "There were other victims listening to us this whole time?"

I follow Sanji's actions as I looked at the figures, summing up that they were probably the ones in the bushes when we first entered. My eyes scan the figures to get a better idea of the people we were going to be saving and my gaze lands on a kid. The child sees my eyes on him and quickly hides behind the tree in which I looked away to not make them feel uncomfortable.

Another voice calls out from the bushes with an almost playful voice, mocking Sanji's previous words, "Sorry for not making your heart throb Curly Brows!"

"Shut up!"

"I mean they're not wrong..." I gave a pause before smiling teasingly at the cook, "Curly Brows."