[38] Things Left Unsaid

Your gaze was trained on the dark ceiling above you, trying to focus on anything but the immense pain in your body. You tried closing your eyes, hoping that falling asleep would make it all disappear. 

Suddenly, you heard muffled voices. You opened your eyes and turned to your door, realizing it was left ajar. It seems like... what was her name again? It seemed like Verr forgot to close it completely.

You strained your ears, trying to listen to what was happening outside.

"Remember... said?" The voices outside were too faint. You couldn't hear everything clearly. 

"...too much..." 

"Can't allow..."

You yawned. Maybe you'd actually be able to fall asleep tonight.

"(Y/N) needs to go." 

Your eyes widened when you heard those words. How did you hear that so clearly?

"...doctor said it can start spreading..."

You furrowed your brows. 'Spread? Do they mean my karmic debt??' Has your karma gotten so severe that it can start spreading around? Just like Xiao's?

You dropped your gaze as a sad smile spread across your face. 'So they have no choice but to kick me out, huh?' you thought, looking out the window.

The skies finally cleared up, allowing faint moonlight to enter your room through the window. You looked up again. Your ceiling isn't as dark anymore. 

Before you knew it, you called his name. 

"Xiao? Are you there?" 

A few seconds pass. There was nothing except for the voices from outside. You sighed softly as you closed your eyes. Maybe you should just ignore the pain and sleep. 

Suddenly, you felt a familiar presence. You shot your eyes open, seeing Xiao right in front of you bathed in the moonlight. 

You only stared at him wide-eyed. "I... you're here..."

"Because you called. Why would I not be here?"

You dropped your gaze as you fell silent.

Xiao turns away, eventually noticing the sound of voices from outside. "...You left it open," he furrows his brows as he immediately shuts your door. 

The sound of it was a little louder than you expected. But after that was complete silence. 

His gaze was still trained on the doorknob. Almost like he was glaring daggers at it. You tilted your head. "You heard what they were saying, didn't you?" 

Xiao's eyes widened for a split second as he tensed up. Then, he let out a deep sigh as he turned towards you with a nod. "I did," he said, noticing the way your gaze fell as your brows furrowed. 

'Why would she call me here... knowing what's about to happen next?'

Your hands gripped the blanket as you pursed your lips. "Can you... come closer for a bit?" you asked.

Xiao tensed up. "Why? Your condition will worsen if I do that." 

"I'll be fine!" you yelled, your voice echoing throughout the entire room. This was the first time you raised your voice at Xiao, and it told him right away of the pain you were going through. 

You looked up at him with widened eyes as if you snapped back to reality. "S-Sorry. I didn't mean to..."

Xiao's heart felt heavy when he saw the look in your eyes. They were sunken and completely exhausted. You've been clearly pushed way past your limit.