[09] The Golden-Winged King

You sighed, wiping off a bead of sweat from your forehead as you packed your things. 

"Thank you for your help again today, doc!" a voice said from behind.

"Of course! I'm happy to help!" You smiled, turning around to see one of your patients stiffly bent over in a deep bow. 

A chuckle left your lips as you bowed in return. "Remember to take your medicines on time! It'd be bad if your condition got worse," you reminded him, a gentle smile on your face. 

The patient nodded profusely. "Yes! I won't forget this time!!" he exclaims. "Thanks again!"

You wave, watching him leave your small clinic. "Bye-bye, and take care!" 

_ _ _

The sun had already sunk below the horizon by the time you left, painting the sky a deep red-orange. You took a deep breath, inhaling the cool, fresh air. "What a long day..." you mumbled, closing your eyes as you yawned wide. 

But as you groggily opened your eyes, you nearly gasped at what stood in front of you.

"Nya~"

"Oh, it's you from earlier!!" You chuckled, crouching down to scratch behind the cat's ear. "I can't believe I was late because of you~" you sighed, yet the smile on your face held no hint of resentment or annoyance at all. 

The black and white cat lay down next to your feet, closing its eyes as it relaxed into your touch. 

"It's getting dark, what are you doing out here?" you asked. Looking around, you noticed the city grow quieter as people returned to their homes and lit up candles for the night.

As soon as you asked, though, the cat stood up, looking up at you with its wide eyes. It leaned away from your touch, turning around and pointing down the road with its snout. 

"Huh...? You want me to follow...?" Tilting your head in confusion, you watched as the cat proceeded ahead with a meow as if saying yes. 

You furrowed your brows. "But that road leads out to the forest..."

"Nya!" It pretty much ignored your warning, walking ahead and looking back to wait for you. 

With a soft sigh and a shrug of your shoulders, you followed its lead. 

Though you've been to the forest multiple times for picking medicinal herbs, you've never gone there during the nighttime. The brightly-colored Sandbearer trees were now painted in a dark silhouette, and as time went on, the sky grew darker, leaving only the moonlight to guide your way through. 

"What are we gonna do here?" you asked, squinting your eyes to see your surroundings better. 'It's so dark!'  

"Nyaa..." Eventually, the cat settles down in a more spacious area where the trees were less densely packed. The moonlight easily shone through, allowing you to see some color in the darkness. 

You looked around, raising your eyebrows in recognition. 'I remember going to this area a few times! Never at night though...'  

Then, your gaze landed on the furball, who comfortably laid on the soft grass next to a tree. You crouched down, noticing the tree trunk packed with thin scratches. 

"Ah, I recognize this! So this is your turf?" You chuckled, plopping down on the grass next to the cat. "That must mean you're a stray, huh?"

The cat said nothing, only closed its eyes.