[33] The Effects of Karma

It all started with light fatigue, which gradually worsened the harder you worked. Then, you started forgetting, losing focus, and drifting off while busy. But you thought nothing of it. After all, it's only natural for the body to wear down like that the more it is pushed, right?

But you also ignored that it wore you down too quickly for it to be natural. 

_ _ _

You waited for Xiao on the rooftop as usual. It was a clear, moonlit night, but your head felt anything but clear. You tried ignoring that dull headache since this morning, but it only seemed to cloud your thoughts more. 

'It's late...' you thought, stifling back a yawn. Xiao was spending more and more time on the battlefield again. Your heart sank. The last thing you wanted to see was him riddled with cuts all over his body... again. 

But just before that uneasiness took over, a familiar puff of black fumes appeared out of nowhere, along with a tired Xiao. 

It was strange. The moment you held him, the headache and sleepiness only grew stronger. But you didn't care. You were just happy to see him in one piece as you gave him the best smile you could muster. He returned safely, and you can feel more of his warmth again. 

But the sleepiness and pain only worsened. And somehow, the pain spread from your head to the rest of your body.

"(Y/N)?" Xiao's voice sounded so far away. "Don't you feel tired at all? It's late. You should be asleep."

"...I'm not tired at all!" You ignored it. You didn't want to worry him while he was resting.

At least you tried your best, but you found yourself nodding off. The urge to sleep was getting stronger. The pain was worsening, and you couldn't feel anything else anymore. 

"(Y/N)? You should go and sleep. Don't worry about me," Xiao said. His voice sounded like a faraway echo now. How strange. 

'But I want to stay with you longer, can I?' you thought, wondering if you managed to say it. But you couldn't tell. It was like you were swimming in thick, black fumes. And the pain only worsened from there. 

Suddenly, it felt as if you had lost your balance. The next thing you saw was Xiao's face above yours. You've never seen him look so panicked before. You tried to make out what he was saying, but you couldn't hear it very well. 

'It hurts,' you thought. The pain was becoming too much to handle now. 

And then, darkness.

_______________________

Your eyelids felt heavy as you opened them. 'What happened?' You tried looking around, but everything was too blurry. 'Where am I?'

By the time your vision cleared, you saw the familiar view of your room ceiling. 

Suddenly, a familiar pair of tired, pink eyes appeared out of nowhere. "Oh. She's awake, doctor." She disappeared again, returning a few seconds later with another pair of yellow-orange eyes. 

'Qiqi and Dr. Baizhu?'

"(Y/N)! You're finally awake!" Baizhu smiled. 

You tried to sit up, but the sharp headache returned again. You winced as you clutched your head. Well, at least your fatigue was gone now. 

Baizhu gently pushed you back into the mattress. "Stay down. You still need rest." 

The pain in your head lessened the moment you laid back down. "Wait... where's Xiao?" You looked up at him.