I will never understand how they can enjoy watching someone else get hurt.

"Adeline." A deep and strong voice calls my name, stopping me in my steps, Dawn's warmth leaves me and I'm suddenly freezing. A tall dark figure blocks every light in my way, the smell of blood becoming overwhelming to me. How much I hate that liquid. It's sickening. It raises bills all the way up to my mouth, threatening me to throw it up.

There's blood everywhere. On my body. In my mouth. Between my thighs. On the floor. Everywhere. It's the only thing I can smell. The rust isn't even stronger than that. It makes my head spin. I can't see straight.

       I've been in the basement for too long, maybe I'm just losing any ounce of sanity I had left. I don't remember why or when she put me here in the first place. My wrists are sore and bruised because of those heavy chains.

"Please. I'm sorry." I just want to be out. I just want to see the sun. I've lost count of the hours. I don't even know what day it is. I just want to be out of there. "I already begged for forgiveness, there's nothing more I can do. Please." I try again, my mouth wet with blood but no saliva. When was the last time I drank water? I don't know. I don't know I don't know. Why can't I remember anything?! What is wrong with me, Jesus?

I would cry if my body wasn't dehydrated already. She said she would feed me if I behaved. I did. I didn't scream this time, I stayed still, I let her do it. I just want a sip of water. That's all.

       "Please, I'm starving. I won't say anything, I swear, Mom, please."  I know I'm wasting my time. She has never listened to my pleas. She always gets me out when I'm passed out and she has to carry me outside the basement.

       She's deaf when it comes to my screams.

She holds my leg in place, not even answering me, I'm not strong enough to fight her anymore. She can cut my heart out if it'll bring her peace.

      "He died for our sins, my baby, the least you can do is bleed for yours." And she presses the blade of her knife into my flesh. More blood. Always more blood.

       "Angel." That deep voice snaps me back into reality.

      L'Arène.
      A locker.
      Kaiser.
      Bet.
      Date.

      No basement.
      No blood.
      Not mine at least.
      Not her.

       "Hm?" Two strong hands hold me in place, one on my neck, the other on my lower back. Kaiser is still half naked, a frown pulling his brows together and he's close — so close. I can smell him everywhere.

       Leather. Smoke. Rain. Blood.

       It takes me a couple of seconds to notice my shaky hands, my heavy breathing, the dizziness, and the tears rolling down my cheeks. It takes a moment for the panic to settle in. My heart beats are so strong, I can't believe they're mine. I will die if it doesn't slow down soon, it'll explode.

       Kaiser must see how conflicted I am because the frown doesn't leave his brows and he lowers his second hand to my waist to lift me from the ground. I try to look around but the salty water coming out of my eyes is making it impossible for me to make sense of what is happening around me.

Under the constant buzzing noise ringing in my ears, I can hear the sound of a door opening, then closing. I can hear Kaiser's even breathing compared to my panicked one. I can hear people becoming quieter when we enter wherever we are.