Chapter twenty-six

Start from the beginning

"What does that even mean?" Techno mumbled behind him, scaring him just a little.

"Freaky hybrid senses," Tommy then muttered with a sigh, smiling at the soft laughter coming from the pink-haired hero, "keep me updated?"

"'Course I will."

"He'll be okay, right?"

"He'll be fine, not a fan of having to leave, though."

"Ask Schlatt to transfer him to your home once he's stable and in recovery," Techno suggested, "he's certainly got the resources and extra space for them."

"You got that, Tubs?"

"Yea. We'd need home visitations then, don't think Dad would like that..."

"Just ask him, I'm sure he won't have too much against it. And it'd be much safer for the both of you, you wouldn't have to be near the blood vines or risk running into one of the maniacs."

"How many are there in L'Manberg?"

"Can't say for sure, but if they have that many in Snowchester already it won't take long for them to show up here frequently as well."

That had pretty much been the end of the conversation. Tommy had promised to call again once they got to the safehouse Phil was talking about (the blonde didn't like how nervous the man looked when he spoke to Wilbur about it) and Tubbo said he'd keep him updated on Ranboo's condition and how they'd proceed with his recovery. Then they hung up, an uneasy feeling lingering in Tommy's gut.

Phil stopped talking with the person on the phone eventually, instead leading them away from central and closer and closer to the western border. It was quite the walk, only interrupting whenever large vines blocked their paths or when Wilbur spotted something that Tommy just had to see ("Toms, look at the little ducks", the man cooed, "gosh they're so cute!" "They look very kickable." "NO-") or when something in the windows of the shops they passed caught their eyes.

They briefly stopped in front of a jewellery shop, Techno's eyes practically glued on a golden bracelet which was on display. It was exceptionally pretty, small emeralds embedded in the woven gold, looking elegant yet delicate. The necklace that Techno had practically forced upon him during the first time at their house still hung around his neck, the pendant leaving a warm lingering feeling on his chest, neatly hidden from curious eyes underneath his shirt.

Phil laughed quietly as the pink-haired man eventually pried his eyes away from the bracelet, only to then barge through the door, presumably to buy it. He was right, of course. Only a couple of minutes later he stepped out of the shop, a paper bag with the logo of the shop clutched tightly in his hand and a flat expression on his face, satisfaction curling in scarlet eyes.

"Found something nice?" Wilbur asked in a teasing tone. "Little piglin wants his gold?"

Techno just huffed and put the bag in the pocket of his coat. "Not my fault you have no taste, imagine wearing silver jewellery."

Wilbur gasped dramatically. "I'll have you know silver jewellery is superior and perfectly matches my style. And I also wear gold, look!" He brushed his hair to the side, revealing the dangling golden earring with the small green gemstone.

"If you mean pretentious hipster look by style then yea, sure."

"You bitch-"

"Boys."

Oh, Phil used his Dad Voice™. The two men must've noticed this as well, Wilbur grinning mischievously as Techno just shook his head with a fond small smile on his lips.