Chapter Twenty-four

The General waited for Gus and Keg to take Michael out of his quarters, and then crept in to find his journals. He wanted to see if anything had changed. He had been reading them for weeks, and it seemed as if Michael had set a date for his escape. He had to make sure his plan was going to work. The ambush needed to be perfectly timed. He needed to follow Michael out, and catch him outside. If they had a confrontation inside the building, everything would be ruined, and he wouldn't be able to kill him.

He crept into Michael's room and slid off the back of the television. The journals were sitting right there, as usual. He cracked open the one he knew contained details of the escape. He was getting all too familiar with Michael's books. He glanced over them one more time, carefully, while jotting down the new information into a notepad of his own. Michael thought he was leaving in two weeks, it seemed. He needed to be prepared. This was the last time he planned on looking through Michael's books. If he got caught reading the plans now, Michael would cancel the whole thing and find another way. He couldn't afford that happening, and he had what he needed. He would finally be able to get rid of him.

He closed the book, and walked back out of Michael's room, slapping Blanco's cage to try and startle the poor thing, but Blanco just looked at him like he was ridiculous. He wished he had never given Michael the stupid rat. Somehow, Michael had managed to throw everything he thought was a punishment right back in his face. He hated it. He couldn't wait to watch the life fade out of his eyes. He wished he had killed him that day, over a year ago now, in that cell he had found him in, covered in his own shit. He wished he had left him there to rot.

The General made his way back down to the courthouse, and into the back entrance of the glass room. There he is, showing off his abilities, the little punk. I'm going to need to make sure I take a pill before I go. I'm going to bring a handful with me, just incase. He knew Michael was just as experienced as he was on the pill. He speculated about who could use the weapon better. Two unlocked minds. Whose vault goes deeper. Mine.

He left the glass room, and went back to his office. He didn't have very long left. He poured himself a drink. He was going to start taking Michael to his tests again. He sipped his whiskey. There was no way he could let Michael get away with this escape. It was his own life on the line.

The next two days dragged by, and the General had a pill every night, going over and over the plan in his head. He would wait, and then follow Michael out. He needed to give him an extra ten minutes, to make sure he was out, and then he would go, and follow behind. He would check his room first to make sure he had left, and then make his way to the door, slowly, to ambush his victim.

The General buzzed for Gus and Keg to come immediately. They showed up in a hurry, wiping sleep out of their eyes. They'll sleep all day if you let them. He was sick of them too, and wished somehow he could take everyone out that he didn't find useful anymore.

The three walked down the halls to Michael's dormitory, and opened up the thick steel doors to the corridor. Michael was waiting in his room, looking quite smug. The General pretended not to notice. He didn't want to give him any sign that he knew his plan was coming up so close. He just asked Michael to get up and go with him. Before he left the room, he noticed that the picture of Michael's wife had been taken down. It was all too real now. He knew Michael wasn't playing any games. He was packed, and he was ready to go home. He led Michael down the hall to what would be his second last test.

Michel stared at the desk. He was growing all too familiar these tests now. This time the General was testing his reflexes. There were six machines set up all around the courtyard pointed at him. They reminded Michael of pitching machines, but they were much bigger and had barrels like cannons. Michael found himself starting to sweat. The tests keep getting more and more dangerous. He's trying to get rid of me. Michael crossed his fingers as he swallowed the pill this time. He laughed to himself inside his head while the feeling took over. As if that is going to make a difference.