14|Halloween & lost girls

.  . • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

IT WAS Halloween. Mara, Mai, and I were all at Zora's place. Her house was always ideal for getting ready. Typically, I would skip these Halloween parties, but this year, when Zora had asked, I'd told her I'd come. The main reason was that I didn't want to leave her alone after what happened at the last party she went to. I was a little surprised she wanted to go in the first place after that, but I saw it as a good thing. If that fucker didn't scare her from going to parties, maybe it meant she was as okay as she told me she was.

However, I still wasn't fully convinced she wasn't affected by it. She kept assuring me that since nothing actually happened, she was okay. But regardless of that, the idea that something could have happened was scary enough on its own. Hence why I pushed away my hate of parties and agreed to go.

Since Zora had an abundance of clothes, my lack of a costume wasn't a problem. She was going as a pirate and while she had a plethora of accessories and layers that went into her outfit, I did a simpler version of a pirate using a mix of her and my own clothes. While pirate was by far not the most unique idea for a costume, Zora made her costume elaborate enough that it stood out anyway.

Mai was sitting on a chair in her agent costume, leg bouncing up and down. Her eyes were settled on something in the distance. They looked droopy and tired yet somehow it seemed like she was brimming with energy. I didn't understand how she had so much energy so often.

"Everything all right, Mai?"

"What?" She snapped.

I blinked, taken aback. Before I could say anything, she started talking again.

"I'm more than all right. I've been feeling so productive lately. Like I swear I've gotten so many things done. Just a few days ago I got into fucking crocheting. It was so random but I just bought like a bunch of yarn and stayed up until 4 a.m. for the past few days just crocheting and I've cleaned my entire house and I got so much done like these past weeks. I've just been so, so great. I bought a bunch of things for my room as well, you should see it. It looks great and I got clothes and this awesome agent costume and everything."

"Well, that's good," I said dubiously.

"Anyway, I'm so ready for this party tonight, I'm about to get plastered tonight."

"Maybe not the best idea, Mai."

She ignored that and went on rambling about the party. I only half-listened, watching Zora out of the corner of my eye. She was doing her makeup while engaged in a conversation with Mara. Two days ago, she'd gotten her hair braided and it looked stunning. As she turned around to get something, our eyes met. The edges of her lips pulled up into a tender smile. I love her.

When she was done with her makeup, Zora helped curl my hair. I'd done some light makeup, but Zora provided me with some assistance when it came to the winged eyeliner. She held my jaw when she was done, tilting my head left and right, then nodded, content.

"Winged eyeliner looks great on you."

I smiled at her compliment. Winged eyeliner did give me a little confidence. Zora was skilled at it too, which helped. It took me a lot more tries to get it right, but she usually managed on the first try. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

"The guys are already there," Mara said, typing something on her phone.

We grabbed our stuff and got into the car. I was the designated driver for tonight since I wasn't up for drinking anyway. Being sober meant I could keep an eye out on my friends as well.