Roommates (Jo Wilson)

Tw - ED⚠️

Also I know the timeline doesn't match - I wanted to keep Arizona in but the story only works if Alex has left so even though Arizona left before Alex just pretend that she didn't.

————————————————————

A few days ago Jo Wilson put up a poster looking for roommates. She needed someone to split rent with. You were an intern and she was a general surgery attending but she was willing to split rent with anyone after her husband just left. You needed somewhere to live. Your mother, who was the only family you had left, had recently passed and left you with a lot of medical debt along with a debt from her funeral and a debt from the unpaid gas and electric at her old apartment - you figured if you lived with Jo you'd be able to sell the apartment and pay off some debt.

"Please Dr Wilson!" You begged her today when asking if the room was still available.

"Can you cook?" She asked.

You hesitated "... I'm sure I can learn!!" You said optimistically.

"Look, I'm just not sure about living with interns it's nothing personal I just..." Jo said.

"Please. I won't be a bother - we'll probably work different shifts anyway so you won't even have to see me. I just need a place to sleep - please" you begged again.

"Mmmm... ok! We're roomies!" She smiled.

You smiled back at her and went to hug her. She put her hands out.

"Woah I can't be giving you special treatment at work - that includes hugging in the hallways!" She told you, half-jokingly.

You moved in after your shift - you didn't have a lot of stuff so you managed to confine it to a small corner of the living room.

The key turns in the door and Jo comes in.

"You hungry?" She asked, waving a white plastic bag in your face. You could smell that the contents was a Chinese takeout.

"Nah I'm too tired to eat" you sighed.

You spread yourself out over the sofa and stretched.

"Suit yourself" she shrugged and shovelled a forkful of food in her mouth.

The next day

You left in a rush because you were being paged to the pit by your resident. You were almost out the door when you realised you didn't have any change for the bus. You were in so much debt you didn't even have a valid card.

"Shit!" You whispered. Obviously not quietly enough because Jo started to stir.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you - I just don't have any change for the bus and I'm being paged!" You said, frantically.

"Front pocket of my bag" Jo groaned.

You took just enough for the bus fare because you didn't want to take advantage.

"Thank you" you said.

She groaned, groggily, in response and you shut the door quietly on your way out.

When you got to the hospital, you were told to check on a girl in bed 3 with 'stomach troubles'.

Robbins was already there.

You joined her.

"This is Dr y/n - she'll be looking after you too." Dr Robbins told the girl and gave her a smile before turning to you and giving you the facts about what she knew.

"She has trouble eating and keeping down food, severely underweight, dehydrated, admitted after an episode of syncope at her school talent show" Robbins tells you.