Please don't die (Amelia Shepherd)

Tw- death, vomiting

Wrote in a different POV for this one.

Fri 8th march 7:29 am
Y/n POV

From the moment I woke up I knew something wasn't right. I have some sort of sixth sense when it comes to those things. I checked the time on my alarm clock on my bedside table. That was odd - I should've been up half an hour ago. Normally my girlfriend wakes me up - at exactly 7am every morning. She brings me toast. She hasn't ever forgotten. I roll on my side. Aw. She's still asleep. Naively, I thought it was cute. I gently shook her to wake her.

"Honey, time to wake up" I whispered.
She didn't reply.
This wasn't right.
I shook her a little harder.
Still nothing.
"Honey you're scaring me - wake up" I'm almost shouting.
Nothing.
I shake her again.
And again.
Im screaming at her at this point.
I check for a pulse.
Fuck.
Shit.
Omg.
Crap.
Fuck.
Fuck.
Fuck.
No pulse.

"HEY SIRI, CALL 911", I yell to my phone that was probably somewhere across the room. I didn't have time to waste searching for it - I needed to start CPR because she was already cold and pale.
I didn't stop doing CPR until the ambulance got here.
They still couldn't find a pulse.

I was in hysterics. A complete mess. All the way to the hospital.
When we arrived we were greeted by Grey and Hunt.
"What have we got-" Hunt starts but then he sees me.
"Y/n are you okay?" He tried to put his arm around me but I shake him off.
Meredith is already examining my girlfriend.
They take her to trauma room one.

I knew I was supposed to be waiting outside but I couldn't. I couldn't just stand and watch. I wander into the room and stand there. I don't know what I thought I was going to achieve - I was still standing and watching but now I was in the way aswell. I just needed to be closer to her. I kept waiting for her to jump up and start giggling
"Ha got you!" Is all I needed her to say. I'd be mad, of course, but she'd be ok.

I couldn't really hear anything. I hadn't noticed until I felt someone's arms around my back. It was a nurse trying to escort me out of the room. Meredith was saying something to her.
I assume it was "Get her out of here!", but I couldn't be sure. My ears were just ringing.
I tried to fight the nurse off me. She was just trying to do her job and I scratched at her arms. I think I was screaming. Like I said, I couldn't really hear much. Everything was moving in slow motion too. It was really like a nightmare.

40 minutes had passed since I woke up to find her dead next to me. And it felt as though I'd been in that waiting room for an eternity. Then Meredith stepped out. That wasn't a good sign. Meredith is the best surgeon in this hospital - that's common knowledge. So if she's stepped out it means she's not needed. That means that the patient is stable or the patient is dead. Given the state my girlfriend was in, I assumed the latter.
"Y/n, I'm so sorry" she looks at me. Called it!
I stand there, silenced. I didn't scream and I didn't start sobbing again. I just stood there. I'd been doing a lot of that. Just standing there, not knowing what to do. She continued talking but my ears started ringing again.
"Thank you" I mumbled.
I apologise to the nurse I scratched as I staggered past her in the hallway. Then I headed to an on call room.

After a while I realised I didn't actually know the cause of death. Meredith probably said it but I can't say I cared at the time. I cared that she wasn't still in there still doing CPR. She gave up. They did CPR on Kepner for over 3 hours. How could they have given up?? Why would they???

The door to the on call room opens. I continued to cry into my pillow. It was truly a pathetic sight.
"Oh God sorry I didn't realise someone was in here- oh my God y/n I'm so sorry - I just heard, I thought you would've gone home by now - what are you still doing here?" It was Amelia.
I didn't even have to look up. I just knew by her awkward entrance. And her awkward accent. And her awkward shadow on the wall next to me.