Apology

"I'm glad you're coming back," Draco said thoughtfully as he walk Hermione to the entrance of the Malfoy Manor.

Hermione drifted softly beside him, "I'm glad too."

"I thought," Draco started then stopped.

"What?"

"I just thought that," He nervously rubbed his palms together, "Well, that you wouldn't want to come back"

"You're different. Although I wouldn't want to meet up with the Draco of 3rd year, goodness, that Draco was a jerk," Hermione teased.

Draco stopped in his tracks. Hermione didn't realize he had stopped until she walked a few paces in front of him. She turned looking confused, "What's wrong?"

Draco stared at his feet and shuffled them. He plucked at the sleeve of his sweater. "I was a jerk," He said somberly.

Hermione cocked her head, "Yeah so?"

"I..." His eyes flitted everywhere except her face. He shoved his hands into his pockets. He finally settled on a point just beyond her shoulder, "I need to tell you why I actually brought you here."

Hermione frowned. This didn't sound good. What could Draco's alternate motive be?

"I wanted to apologize," He said stiffly.

She breathed out relief. He had her scared for a moment.

"I was awful to you in school. And I would like to change so many things, but I can't. All I can do is ask your pardon," Hermione started to speak but Draco rushed on, "I especially want to take back what I called you. It was despicable of me. A person's a person, ancestry doesn't matter.What matters is a person's character. I've seen your character, you're a good person. So I'm sorry."

Hermione realized he was apologizing for calling her a mudblood. It was a derogatory term used for wizards or witches who were born by muggle parents. He had brought her all the way there to say sorry. He was sincerely sorry for what he had done.

Hermione smiled, "Draco, thank you. You're forgiven."

Draco sighed with relief and ran his hand through his hair, "Thank you. It's a weight off my chest."

"No problem. It didn't bother me too much," Hermione said trying to comfort him.

They started walking again. Draco began to laugh.

"What now?" Hermione asked.

"It's just, that was a lot easier than I expected," Draco explained still chuckling.

Hermione playfully punched his arm, "I can make it harder, if you'd like."

"No, no!" Draco raised his palms in surrender,"Please, I'm very happy."

"I suppose, I won't hex you then," Hermione said mysteriously.

Draco raised an eyebrow and laughed, "You were going to hex me?"

"Oh yes, I was going to confuse you as soon as you turned your back," She smirked then said thoughtfully, "But I'm glad I didn't."

"I'm also glad you didn't." He pulled out his wand fingering it, "Funny how much damage these things can do.

Hermione whipped out her wand, "Expelliarmus!"

Draco's wand flew out of his hand and into Hermione's out stretched one.

Draco looked flabbergasted. "What-Wha-," He stuttered.

"Pay back," Hermione explained, "You took my wand now I took yours." She handed his wand back and laughed at his surprised face.

Draco laughed nervously, "I still don't quite understand..."

Hermione patted his shoulder, "You wanted it harder. So I pulled a spell on you. Now get me out of here or I'll hex you again!"

Not much left..... Dedicated to crazy_4_love because she helped proof read part of this.