Greengrass

Sorry the last chapter ended really abruptly. I was sick when I wrote that and just wanted to publish something.

"...I hope it does good there." Draco's words spun in Hermione's head. He had changed. Draco Malfoy was a new person.

"Why St. Mungo's Hospital?" Hermione asked.

"Don't think I'm being arrogant or anything, but I wanted to be on a good ground with them, so I could intern there. I want to be a Healer. I thought if I gave them money they might except me as a student there." He sat down on one of the chairs.

"Did they?" Hermione asked. She moved to a chair opposite him and sat.

"No. I don't have all my N.E.W.T.s. Apparently Herbology is needed and I never particularly liked gardening. So I can't get into the hospital."

"Why don't you get your last N.E.W.T.?"

"I couldn't go back to Hogwarts. Not ever. But I do have something set up with Durmstrang Institute. If that doesn't fall through, I believe I can get my last N.E.W.T. soon," Draco said hopefully.

"You could do it, Draco. You're different," Hermione said carefully, putting her thoughts into words.

"Maybe I was always like this, but you never noticed?" Draco said.

"Ha! You were not always like this," Hermione rolled her eyes, "You were a sniveling little brat!"

Draco scoffed, jokingly he straightened his collar and said proudly, "I did not snivel."

"I change my mind, you are a sniveling brat," Hermione teased.

"My father will hear about this, Granger!" Draco joked.

Hermione snorted a laugh and covered her mouth, "You said that all the time."

"So I've been told. At least I had a few friends who were brave enough to tell me to shut up," Draco responded as Hermione calmed herself.

"And who would be brave enough to come between Draco and his daddy?" Hermione teased. She found she enjoyed making fun of Draco Malfoy when he didn't try to kill her. Although sometimes it amused her when he got in a wrath, she liked it better to tease him in a friendly manner. Friendly? Draco Malfoy a friend?

"Oh come on Hermione, you aren't being very kind," Draco said acting hurt.

"I wasn't named the cleverest student of the year for kindness, so don't expect any," Hermione bragged.

"If you're so smart figure out who it was yourself," Draco mocked.

Hermione crossed her arms and pursed her lips. She closed her eyes thinking intensely. She sighed at last admitting her defeat, "I got nothing. Who was it?"

"I'm not telling," Draco shrugged, determined to tease her.

"You're the unkind one Malfoy!" Hermione started.

"OK, OK, I'll tell you," Draco laughed raising his hands in defeat, "It was my good friend Astoria Greengrass that hit me in the back of the head to knock some sense into me."

"Astoria Greengrass? I've never heard of her before, although the name Greengrass sounds familiar," Hermione pondered.

"Her sister, Daphine was in our year. Astoria wasn't like her sister though. The Greengrass' have been our family friends since well, forever it seems. Daphine was always a bit wild but Astoria was softer. . ." He paused in thought, "She was two years behind me. She was pulled out of Hogwarts towards the end. It was too dangerous."

"Where is she now?" Hermione asked, "I want to congratulate her for hitting you in the back of the head."

Draco grinned, "You always appreciate the most important aspects of a person."

Hermione shrugged innocently.

Draco continued to answer her question, "She's now attending Beauxbatons Academy. Her family lives in France. She should finish there soon, she's brilliant." Draco spoke of her with a look of passion about him.

"You keep in touch?" Hermione asked.

"Yes. Actually, I work for her father. He owns candy shops all over Europe-"

"Wait!" Hermione interupted, stunned, "You mean to tell me that you were actually working at that place?" She had thought him 'working' at the candy shop was an act, a facade.

"Yes," Draco said looking a little surprised, "Why? I told you the Malfoy Estate is completely bankrupt. What was I to do? We need money."

"Oh, well," Hermione stumbled. She nervously tucked her hair behind her ear, "Uh, I just never saw you as someone who, um, would work-I mean, I never saw you as working at a, candy shop."

He raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, um, you at a candy shop, ha, it's just sort of funny. You know? I mean- you see, um-"

"I think I know what you're trying to say," Draco interrupted her, before she fell on her face stumbling over her words.

"You do? Oh, good," Hermione said breathlessly and feeling rather embarrassed.

"Yes, I think I was surprised too- you know- the whole 'Malfoys Don't Work Because We're Rich and Famous and Elite and Smart and-'"

"Full of yourselves?" Hermione suggested.

"That's the one!" Draco joked, "But I never really saw myself as, you know, getting a normal job and stuff." He paused sort of staring at nothing.

"Can I have more tea?" Hermione asked, getting up and going to the serving table.

"Of course, help yourself, it might be cold though," Draco said. He propped his feet upon the table in front of him. "It's really strange, working is not how I expected it."

Hermione tapped the teapot with her wand. A trail of steam appeared from the spout. She poured herself a cup. She felt in a charitable mood so she asked, "You want some?"

"Yes, thank you," Draco responded, "I thought it would be easy. But it isn't, I mean it's not hard, but at the same time there's a lot of pressure."

"Responsibility?" Hermione said, she handed him a steaming saucer.

Draco nodded his thanks for the tea, "Yes, but also, I enjoy it. I thought I would despise it, but it's sort of fun." He smiled.

Sipping her tea, she nodded.

"I think the best part is being able to work with the Greengrass'. I get to see them all the time. They're like extended family to me."

"I thought you said they lived in France?" Hermione asked.

"They do, but distance doesn't matter so much when you're a wizard. So I go to them a lot. It's lonely and boring around here without-" He caught his breath and rushed on, "My family."

Hermione set her tea down. She leaned forward,  she felt almost concerned for him. She didn't know why, but she was. She realized it was because she had felt the same way. She had been separated from her parents for so long, that her friends, Harry and Ron, had become her family (Ron quite literally). She was glad Draco had friends to call family, but it was always hard to miss someone you love so much. She had missed her parents. Draco missed his. She was concerned for him. "It's hard being without your family; I know."

Draco nodded curtly, looking down at his tea. After a moment, "Thank you Hermione."

Hermione shrugged and smiled, "For what?"

"You sympathize." Draco stood up, "But now, I need to give you something before you leave."

Hermione stood also, "What?"

"Something I stole from you."

Comment, Love, Vote, Eat Food, Read, Hug A Cat, & Enjoy